#136 Designer Handbags

Posted December 14th, 2010 by Peter · 18 Comments

Just in time for Christmas 2010– This week’s post, #136 Designer Handbags, comes from Joshua Chen. Enjoy!

You’re Asian. And a girl. It’s almost a given that at least once you’ve been drawn to the allure of the designer handbag. (If not, I’m sure you know someone who does…or owns one…) But with so many choices, which one do you choose? Coach? Burberry? Chanel? Louis Vuitton?

As a guy, I may never understand this phenomenon, but being plagued by an Asian girlfriend to buy one, is bound to happen in the near future. But surely it’s not bad…you say. Well…it is…case and point below….

I distinctly remember going to China, for the Shanghai World Exhibition, entering the France pavilion. The first thing I saw was a Louis Vuittion sign. The second things I saw was…a bunch of Asians gathered around it. Taking pictures. Which just goes to show that there does not even have to be a purse there for there to be attraction. The name “Louis Vuitton” merely strikes a resonant chord in the heart of all Asians…

What’s next? Well, after your passion has been fueled, inevitably, you will choose one of the brightly colored handbags. The ones that are white with the designer logo in multiple neon greens, pinks, yellows, and oranges. If not, you’ll probably opt for the biggest bag possible…that screams “Look at me! I have money!”

Sadly, however, you will also be subject to haggling with the clerk about whether or not they can give it to you “for cheap price” or something similar.

And then, victorious, you will emerge…and join the rest of the Asian world with your very own, designer handbag.

-Joshua Chen

Tags: Activities · People · Products · Relationships · Social

• 1 Quis // Dec 14, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I’ve been waiting for someone to post about this one! Although, I think there is so much more going on regarding this phenomenon that was not (and perhaps, can’t) be covered by this posting, especially considering the socio-economic implications.

• 2 Mia // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Oh no! I knew this would happen. LOL. Anyway, another thing Asians also like is designer bag knock-offs.

• 3 Chloe // Jan 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm

These bags look amazing!

• 4 matteo // Feb 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Nice@my webside.

• 5 mosic // Feb 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Actrully I am interested in those stuff, how much?

• 6 Cheap Bags // Mar 4, 2011 at 11:39 pm

The Chanel Bags has become a symbol for modern luxury. As a global company, its scope has gone beyond bags, luggage and shoes to become a complete fashion brand. Designer clothes all the way to designer eyewear. Gucci is one of the most famous brands in the world, and surely one of the most renowned in the eyewear market. Its collections offer a range of models aimed at combining style and sophisticated needs, all characterized by Gucci’s style and unmistakable iconic elements.

• 7 Fox Hats // Mar 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I just added your site to my favorites. I really like reading your posts. Thanks!new era caps

• 8 cheap la angels of anaheim tickets // Mar 15, 2011 at 4:15 am

Very cool space! I love your taste and it looks like it’d be so much fun to poke around in there. I used to live in village but now in city, but if I ever go back that way to visit family I’d love to see it in person.

• 9 Jen // Mar 15, 2011 at 7:13 am

This post reminds me of the time my mom and her friends drove 2 hours to a Coach store to buy Coach purses. They’re not exactly rich, instead they work at a warehouse.

• 10 grinding mill // Mar 16, 2011 at 2:15 am

rock crusher

• 11 mac cosmetics // Mar 19, 2011 at 12:49 am

Thanks for taking the time to chat about this, I feel fervently about this and I benefit from learning about this subject.

• 12 chi flat iron // Mar 21, 2011 at 1:46 am

good share i like it

• 13 GHD Hair Straighteners // Mar 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I searched for something completely different, but found your website! And have to say thanks. Nice read. Will come back.

• 14 true religion jeans // Mar 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I hope you will keep updating your content constantly as you have one dedicated reader here.

• 15 five fingers shoes // Mar 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm

• 16 Simone // May 18, 2011 at 7:10 am

Hi there,
    I really enjoyed your post. I am studying Styling and creative direction and we were set a taste to find trends all over the world. This designer bag phenonmon has always baffled me when it came to Asain consumers. Any way – good post. thanks! im using this for class tomorrow x

• 17 ilovehorseyrides // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:11 pm

One time one of my aunts went to an outlet mall and spent over $1000 on those bags alone!!!! No kidding!!!!

• 18 Goli Désire // Mar 31, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Hi Could You please send me information about how to but designer ladies bags?