Open Topic: Common Asian Stereotypes

Posted November 18th, 2009 by Peter · 15 Comments

Here is a submission by Vannie Sung about common asian stereotypes.

asia-map620

We’ve heard stereotypes about Asians: Bollywood, Rice, Short, Study. No speak English. But what about the more specific ones?

Here are the newest ones I’ve heard so far:

Chinese: Eat dog. (We don’t just eat dog. In fact, I had rabbit stew and fried stingray the other day. These delicacies aren’t typically consumed; we’re just not very picky eaters.)

Buddhist. The most conservative Asian.

Indian: The most technological-savvy Asian of all. Curry.

Korean: The wealthiest Asian of all (I wonder if that’s why Korean barbeque restaurants are so expensive). Materialistic (tend to spend the most money on makeup, hair products, and clothes). Every sentence spoken ends in -ohhh.

Japanese: The most Westernized Asian of all, that bow the most. Language contains many k’s and z’s. Sushi.

Vietnamese: The shortest Asian of all.

Based on my observations, I can usually tell Asian people apart by appearance. If not, then by their last name. (For example, if it sounds Spanish- then there’s a 90% chance that individual must be Filipino). If not that, then by the sound of the native language spoken, or by the written appearance of characters.

We get offended when people tell us that “All Asians look alike”. Yet how do we differentiate if the only way is through categorization?

Thanks Vannie, hopefully we can break down some racial barriers with this week’s open topic!

Tags: Culture · Customs · Environment · Featured Topic · Food & Beverage · Habits · Hobbies · Humor · Just for Laughs · Open Dialogue · People · Tidbits

• 1 Sarah // Nov 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm

i think a more recent chinese one i’ve heard would have to be “eat babies”

• 2 Tina // Nov 20, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I’m Viet and I’m not short.
    I’m 5’4.

Alright you’ve proved your point.

• 3 Realist // Nov 23, 2009 at 1:24 am

how come Japan lost Hokkaido in the map? And North Korea ceased to exist? And Tibet suddenly became a country? What is this a CIA sponsored map of the future?

• 4 JC // Nov 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I think Chinese eating dog is pretty old, like centuries old. Korean eating dogs is newer since people just realize recently that there are still popular dog restaurants in Seoul. Mainland Chinese recently got the reputation of being big and dumb spenders, buying handbags and apartments around the world with abandonment. Indians being techies – that’s new. Have you been to India? You can’t even get 3G most places. Korea and Taiwan gets that honor – girls fights over who’s smartphone is the best. Japanese Westernized? They are the only Asians around who still goes out in traditional dresses on occasions. Plus no matter how much they Westernize, their Engrish is still the worse. It’s more like they’re simply adopting Western culture into their own. Korean’s aren’t wealthy – they just pretend they are. Vietnamese short? Not the new generation, and they have nothing on the Japanese. I don’t really agree with most of your new stereotypes.
    99% of the time, East Asians DO look alike. It’s like you claiming being able to tell Germans and French apart. Same gosh darn race, different culture.

• 5 Ica // Dec 23, 2009 at 1:57 am

hey! where is pakistan? isn’t it right next to india and a whole lot bigger than, say, singapore? not that i have anything against singapore. and im not pakistani as well.

• 6 JTheGreat // Dec 23, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Hey! Where are the Filipinos?! I’m hurt that you don’t think of them as an Asian culture.

And Buddhism isn’t a country. It’s a freakin’ RELIGION.

• 7 NK // Dec 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Chinese people eat everything and anything, including endangered or threatened species. They also spit a lot and burp out loud without saying “sorry” or “excuse me”.

Korean BBQ is so expensive because Koreans are the best at making a buck. They overcharge for everything (even to other Koreans) but somehow people always buy their stuff. Also, a new one someone told me-Koreans can’t stay awake if the lights are turned off for like a Powerpoint presentation or an in-class movie. Lights go out and bam! Zzzzz.

I agree that the Japanese are the best at weaving their own culture with Western ways. However, I think lot of people think Japanese men are the most perverted Asians because of hentai and nightclubs with naked women covered in sushi or dressed as sexy milkmaids.

• 8 joo // Feb 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm

@Tina, under 5 feet is consider short just to let u know.

• 9 Aluash // May 3, 2010 at 7:18 am

Hey, so um… It pisses me off when people think of Asia, they consider China, Japan, Korea, etc. They fail to acknowledge the Central Asian countries, which are still ASIAN. I’m from Kazakhstan and when people look at me, they think I’m a mix between white and Korean when I’m 100% ASIAN!

So your map needs heck of a lot of revising.

• 10 ShizumaTaka // Jun 24, 2010 at 6:39 pm

@Realist, hahaha I just noticed that too. haha

• 11 Janice // Aug 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I’m from the Philippines and my grandfather was half-Spanish, but most people still think I’m Spanish/Latin/”mixed”. I guess with our 400+ years of Spanish colonization, we’re too muted to be considered “Asian”.

• 12 Hair Straighteners // Sep 5, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I love your website!.

• 13 power balance // Oct 5, 2010 at 2:53 am

The Hottest Pop Star on earth has teamed up with the Hottest Fashion Accessory: silly bandz is releasing the most popular pack of Silly Bandz to date: The Justin Beiber silly bandz.
    power balance is Performance Technology designed to work with your body’s natural energy field.
    EFX braceleteffectively tunes the body, immediately unleashing its full potential for function and performance.

• 14 titter // Nov 28, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I agree with Aluash… people tend to leave out A LOT of other asian countries, and they immediately generalize the whole asian continent with the little bit of pieces they know

• 15 wood pellets // Feb 28, 2011 at 2:11 am

Certain filtration techniques are generally well suited for big heat techniques, however, not pertaining to lesser techniques utilize. Nevertheless, Every medal has its reverse, most of us cannot overlook raw wood pellets positive aspects. Advantages for women, fewer particulars produced when burning out of your wood pellets inside the central heater. The entire content of 1% ash. Furthermore, you’ll be able to get fertilizer after burning. Not simply in the home but away from house, the transportation is quite simple. Using solid wood pellet materials has also other features. You no more have to have a distinct big space to for a central heating system boiler to put your oil tanks. Merely only one A Quarter as well as diminished amount of your basement is plenty.