Open Topic: Asians like Linkin Park

Posted October 12th, 2009 by Peter · 18 Comments

Tony H. says: “As all you may know (of course you do); if you follow Stuff Asian People Like, you must be asian (or curious about Asian stereotypes). If that’s the case, one punk/rock band that asians are especially fond of is Linkin Park.

linkin

There are a couple of reasons why so many Asian People like this band. Though there are mixed crowds in the rock/punk scene, Linkin Park is somehow more definitive in capturing the hearts of Asian people everywhere. Why is this so common?

linkinparkwbFirst, people [of other ethnicities] love punk rock and Asian People (as a method of survival and adaptation) must coerce, especially second generation asians with [fresh off the boat] parents. This is in order to fit into the social scenes at school, workplace, etc. Since Linkin Park is a crowd pleasing band that covers many genres like metal/punk/rock/alternative/rap/etc (and asians love low risk preferences), it would be a huge mistake to not be a Linkin Park fan. This brings us to our…

Second Point: Mike Hahn and Mike Shinoda are Asian. Since very few asians get the spot light in mainstream media, we have to support them. The most popular bands worldwide have either been of African, Caucasian, or Latin descent. Asians aren’t there yet. Better luck in China…

Third, Linkin Park changes the way people think about Asians. Since we have been undergoing a process of Americanization, the next step is to push towards pop culture rather than bearing with older traditional music our parents play at ridiculously high volumes in their cassette players.

“You know you love linkin park, don’t deny it or you’re hindering us.”

Is Linkin Park a preference of yours? Do you know any Asians that like/hate Linkin Park? Why is the band so popular or unpopular amongst your friends?

You can read more about Linkin Park from RyanFriday’s Blog.

Thanks Tony H. for the submission as well!

Tags: Culture · Customs · Environment · Famous · Featured Topic · Music · Open Dialogue · People · Products · Promotions · T.V.

• 1 Rebecca // Oct 12, 2009 at 11:46 am

Liking Linkin Park isn’t a stereotype; they were an extremely popular band about 7 years ago. Everyone liked them, not just Asians.

• 2 Open Topic: Asians like Linkin Park | Fashion e Music Blog // Oct 12, 2009 at 2:04 pm

[...] See the original post here:  Open Topic: Asians like Linkin Park [...]

• 3 Eurasian Sensation // Oct 12, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Although Linkin Park are heavy, in comparison to a lot of other heavy rock bands, they are not so scary or “alternative” as to frighten off a mainstream Asian audience. They have a lot more melodic sung bits than a lot of similar bands, and Asians love songs they can sing badly along to. Check out the brief middle bit of “In the End”, it could easily be from a boy band song.

• 4 M // Oct 12, 2009 at 8:03 pm

This is hilarious: my favourite band happens to be Linkin Park (and my favourite song is ‘Breaking the Habit’). I just love their music cos it speaks to me on so many levels – especially their earlier stuff.

Mike Shinoda is the main songwriter, isn’t he? I think it’s more likely that asians like Linkin Park because their songs deal with issues and themes that asians can really relate to i.e. Mike Shinoda drew from his own personal experience of being asian to write their songs.

• 5 S // Oct 14, 2009 at 12:13 am

His name is JOE Hahn.

• 6 web designer // Oct 15, 2009 at 12:32 am

I keep want to start this comment with ‘good’ or ‘nice’ or ‘great’ but none of these seems strong enough, or appropriate enough for what you just posted.Just fantastic and mindblowing blog keep it up..!!!

• 7 bee // Oct 16, 2009 at 6:07 am

actually, i do know a couple of asians that like linkin park.

• 8 Vannie // Oct 16, 2009 at 9:35 am

This is hilarious! I do see that the representation of Asians (Joe Hahn/Mike Shinoda do relate to their experiences of being an Asian often) in the band does appeal to many Asians. However as a fan, I’d have to say that their music drew me in first. Great band, nevertheless!

• 9 JC // Oct 22, 2009 at 4:16 pm

They are even popular in Asia, which is very hard thing to say when your music is that heavy. Asian Asians love ballads.

• 10 Alexis // Oct 28, 2009 at 12:06 am

LP sucks please move on to louder more productive things in rock music.They are so damn commercial you only here from them once a Transformer movie comes out.Then again I’m a huge Dir En Grey fan.I like my rock slightly more morbid and bitchy.

• 11 Cami // Oct 29, 2009 at 2:02 am

Are we Asians being pigeon-holed…again? Fyi I loved LP before I even knew there were Asians in the band, so there goes that theory.

• 12 blissfulting // Nov 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Wow, I’ve actually noticed this before. Personally I’m a big fan of Linkin Park, and if you asked for a specific reason I couldn’t tell you anything other than that I like their music (well duh). LP is for some reason extremely popular in Asia. Sure, non-Asians are LP fans too, but out of other contemporary Western bands I find LP to be especially well-liked by both overseas Asians and home Asians.

• 13 don // Nov 9, 2009 at 3:52 am

i like linkin park BEFORE i saw a picture of them… FAINT got my attention, was such an awesome song.

It was only coincidence that some turned out to be Asians.

Linkin Park sucks imo these days. Meteora and Hybrid Theory days were the best. But then again, I’ve grown up :(

• 14 Fun & Fact // Nov 21, 2009 at 3:20 am

You always come up with great stuff I just love your site you are very talented I’ll recommend your site to my friends and family members great job very appreciated..keep it up..

• 15 meee // Dec 28, 2009 at 9:13 pm

wow, my korean penpal LOVES them.

• 16 amazon ghd // Sep 6, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I love your website!

• 17 ugg outlet // Dec 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Your article very interesting, I have introduced a lot of friends look at this article, the content of the articles there will be a lot of attractive people to appreciate, I have to thank you for such an article.
    uggs outlet

• 18 hapalilvegemite // Dec 31, 2010 at 8:42 am

Okay, I liked Linkin Park when i was in middle school (Hybrid Theory era)…A LOT. I was all about them. They’re part of the reason I got into making my own music. But now in some ways I’m actually a little embarassed that they’re one of “those bands” that, truth be told, a whole lot of Asians I meet are way into. To me they’re just a bit outdated, but I’m also a bit of a music snob.

I’d like to clear something up, though. Nothing about Linkin Park is punk rock. For Asians in punk rock, look no further than Japan’s ’80s no wave/hardcore scene. Also, the son of the senator of Hawaii or something was in some skate punk band a while ago.