#120 Knowing Better Places for Asian Food

Posted June 14th, 2009 by Peter · 9 Comments

This is the first officially numbered post by our new guest writer, Shaun S. (not to be confused with Shaun Yeoh). This is his second submission and we here at SAPL want everyone to show him some love!

lady

Asians love their food a lot.  More so than the French, Italians, or anyone else for that matter.  This is why when Asian families go out to eat, they choose a restaurant that makes the same foods they enjoy at home.  Consequently, every Asian person has an encyclopedic knowledge of restaurants and supermarkets before they know long division (which for Asians, is really young).  While this is beneficial for anyone who wants a recommendation, it is more important that non-Asians are aware of the major faux pas they stand to commit when talking to Asians about food.

88market

When talking to an Asian person, you must never praise an Asian restaurant or supermarket.  It may seem harmless, but unless you happen to be talking about the best one in a 100 mile radius, they will rant on how the place you went is not authentic, bad, or the worst disgrace to happen to their people since opium/atomic bombs/voiceover dubbing.  They will then tell you where you should have gone for food, and how it is so much better.  Asian people enjoy this so much that they will even attack other Asians.  Do not be alarmed if you see this.  It is a natural process for keeping everyone’s directory up todate.

sfmarket

When talking with an Asian person about food, you should frame everything as an inquiry.  For example, instead of saying “I had the dynamite shrimp at P.F. Chang’s, and it was great with the spicy Chang sauce,” you should ask “Have you ever eaten at P.F. Chang’s?”  (note: Asian people don’t eat at P.F. Chang’s, but hypothetically, you would next ask about the shrimp).  They will go on the same tirade either way, but by framing it as an inquiry, you can regain their trust by adding “That’s what I heard, and you confirmed it.”  This implies that: you have not eaten there, you do not like it, and you have not already consulted another Asian.

Welcome to the Family, Shaun! We hope to read more of your submissions.

Tags: Activities · Asian Parenting · Business · Environment · Food & Beverage · Habits · People · Products · Social

• 1 steve // Jun 14, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Thanks Shaun!

I’ve noticed this is especially true even in the “motherland” itself; I’ve decided to apply your advice in my conversations with colleagues here in Beijing and immediatly I’ve gained 2 new friends! You’re the man!

• 2 Eurasian Sensation // Jun 27, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Ask a Malaysian about good Malaysian restaurants and they will be unable to answer without the word “authentic”.

As in “No lah, that one not so good, but Laksa King is the most authentic, you know?”

Don’t assume however that “authentic” actually means “good”, or at least to non-Malaysian tastebuds. Said “authentic” food may be good, or it may taste exactly the same as the apparently “inauthentic” equivalent. That’s not the point.

“Authentic” actually means “It’s the most similar to the one I had at a stall in Petaling Street in Kuala Lumpur several years ago.”

• 3 Shaun S // Jul 9, 2009 at 6:42 pm

My inspirations for this one:

1) My girlfriend made the mistake of praising Mitsuwa mochi to some Japanese people she works with. They went on for hours about how much more authentic Sakura-ya is, and then told her their childhood memories of the place.

2) Yelp.

3) I’m guilty of this.

• 4 got-rice // Oct 11, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Yelp is like the bible to eating for Asian peeps…if a lot of Asians like it, they will eat there, whether or not it is an Asian establishment or not.

• 5 huu // Jul 13, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Chanel Purses that dot the collection, they’re very taste-specific, but I could see some of the more subdued version working quite well with summery white linen or various bright colors for contrast. From Chanel Outlet

• 6 tay // Jul 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm

this is soooo true. pf changs and panda express are bullshit and a horrible excuse for chinese food.
    i can’t help it. i hate it when i hear that a friend has gone to a horrible chinese restaurant and think what they ate was authentic chinese food. it’s an insult to real chinese food…which is effing delicious!

• 7 sarah // Aug 29, 2010 at 7:36 pm

@Eurasian Sensation,

Lol. As a Malaysian myself,I must agree with you on that though sometimes I would use words such as “good/delicious/spicy” rather than “authentic” when describing about a particular restaurant/food.

• 8 Ray // Aug 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Has anyone eaten at Fong’s Eatery, near Morgan Crossing?

Has anyone tried their chicken chow mein?

(note that I am following Shaun S’s advice)

My new address is The Summit House at Morgan Crossing so I am researching nearby dinner options!

• 9 ilovehorseyrides // Aug 13, 2015 at 6:59 am

My family ate at Panda Express at Universal Studios Hollywood and actually liked it. I always loved PE but I was surprised that my Asian family loved it