Open Topic: Are Filipinos Considered Asian?

Posted June 9th, 2009 by Peter · 53 Comments

Bonn C. asks: “Are Filipinos considered Asian? I’m Filipino myself and I consider myself Asian but I hear many people, Filipinos, Asians, and non-Asians alike, refer to us as Pacific Islanders. What’s up with that? I know we have Spanish last names and are mostly Christian but we also share a lot of the Oriental traits that East Asians have. Physiologically, we are related to Malaysians, Indonesians, and other Southeast Asians, groups that people have no problem referring to as Asians. Yes we do eat with Western cutlery, but so do Thais (who are Asian). The biggest difference is probably cultural, but that’s true when you compare other Asian groups with each other. We are just as frugal and traditional as you guys, we love race imports and luxury cars, and work just as hard in school to get As. I think we have earned the title to be called Asian.”

This is an open topic that will become a Featured Topic when there are enough topics. Please help by commenting below.

Thanks,
Peter.

Tags: People

• 1 Anon // Jun 9, 2009 at 1:53 pm

First of all I hate the term “Asian”. Isn’t everyone from the continent of Asia, Asian?

Since the term Asian in the US is used for people of Southeast and Far East Asian decent, then by that token yes they are Asian.

But if you consider “Asian” people to be of mostly Chinese descent then no they are not Asian.

• 2 John // Jun 9, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Have you opened an encyclopedia ?

Without doubt yes !

If this question has cultural issues attached from a US world view perspective, it’s still a yes.

• 3 Kvietgrl // Jun 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Yes yes yes. =) I have many filipino friends and connect very with them especially on a cultural level.

• 4 Anonymous // Jun 9, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Wait what? Filipinos aren’t even pacific islanders.

From wikipedia:

Inhabitants of the following islands and regions are not considered to be Pacific Islanders: Russia’s Kuril Islands, Alaska’s Aleutian Islands, Taiwan, Japan, PHILIPPINES, Indonesia, as they are not located within the three regions of Oceania (Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia).

• 5 elan' // Jun 10, 2009 at 1:26 am

Now, I’m not sure how accurate this anecdote is. I’m not a historian and my mom ran this by me. But the reason why we’re Pacific Islanders is because back in the day, Asians were not allowed to marry Whites. A Filipino man and a White Woman wanted their marriage to be recognized by the government and a clever lawyer was able to make the case that we weren’t Asian.

I can’t confirm this bit of history. It is plausible. There was a law preventing Asians (especially the “Heathen Chinee” as they were called) to not own land and to not marry Whites.

It seems our race is in a unique shade of grey. In the 1800s when the Manila Men landed in Lousiana, they were legally White because they were from Spanish Territory.

At least in the state of California, we have our own box to draw a little check in.

We’re on an island on the Pacific. Just like Japan. We have no traces to Polynesian culture. Our old gods bare little in common with Polynesian gods. In fact in some parts of the Philippines, there are traces of Pan-Indian culture, for example we have our own version of the Hindu Epic, the Ramayana.

Our language belongs to the Indo-Austrasian (I could have that name wrong, I think linguists have updated that name into just Austrasian, if I’m not mistaken) family of languages (this includes Indonesian, Thai, and Vietnamese).

Obviously, I’ve answered this question before on some other message board. I worry about a culture that can’t decide what its identity is. Although, if you were to ask a Filipino in the Philippines if we were Asian, he would say yes and give you a funny look like you’re stupid. The fact of the matter is, the Filipinos of the Diaspora are listening to White people who are trying to tell us what we are and we’re second guessing ourselves because we’ve had a long history of being colonized.

Here’s something to think about:

If a Black man and a Chinese woman had a kid and that child was asked to pick only one single ethnic identity, it would be like denying half of himself.

Yes, Filipinos are Asian. But we are more than just Asian.

I’m the sort of Filipino who is easily mistaken for something else, mainly Chinese. Other Filipinos don’t think I’m Filipino at first meeting.

But in my blood runs the people of the river who prayed to Bathala, Muslim tribesman who fought pirate invasions, Chinese traders who were adventurous enough to go out to sea, Spanish Moroccans or “Turkos”– heirs of those who suffered through the Spanish Inquisition, who jumped on a boat with the promise of a new life, and yes, even Spaniards who sought out to take advantage of a chain of islands and its people.

People fail to understand race and culture. They are dynamic things. They are literally evolving and through that evolution you’ll get a shade of grey. And if that shade of grey sticks around long enough it become the new paradigm.

• 6 Alpha Asian // Jun 10, 2009 at 4:35 am

Very eloquent and insightful comment, Elan.

I’m an ABC, and I consider Filipinos Asian, not because of what a map says or what a dictionary says. I consider Filipinos Asians, because they tend to congregate with other Asian Americans.

I live in Daly City, which might as well be another island of the Philippines. The Filipinos here all go to the same Asian American supermarkets and restaurants every other Asian American goes to: Ranch 99, pho joint, dim sum, sushi. etc.

I don’t see Middle Easterners, Indians or Russians (who you might say are Asian geographically) share the cultural affinity with East Asians the way Filipinos do.

• 7 amyb // Jun 10, 2009 at 6:05 am

Considering you used the words “Oriental traits”… you can most definitely not consider yourself Asian.

• 8 sorry but no // Jun 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

I don’t think flips are asian. The way they look is very unoriental. The noses, the eyes, and the facial structure…
    The language is not asian, the writing system uses Roman letters. The names are Spanish, and the culture is very much Spanish, and the religion being Christian is also Western. In this sense, because many of these things are important to any culture, I don’t consider flips Asians. They’re Pacific Islanders.

• 9 It's a misnomer // Jun 10, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I’m with the first anon, “Asian” is a label that can be applied to Chinese people and IRAQIS. Considering some “asians” wear fur hats and some wear cloth hats, the entire word is just a misnomer.

I’ve always preferred to simply refer to myself by my country of origin. Besides, the more I use the term “Asian” the more I help support the idea that we’re all the same, something I fight on a regular basis.

Simply put, what does it matter? You’re Filipino and if that’s not good enough for you, I feel that’s the more serious problem. Why do we need to be validated by striving for some label without value?

We are who we are. Did that stop counting for something? I’m proud of Korea and being Korean. Isn’t that enough?

• 10 elan' // Jun 10, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Asking what Filipino is also opens up a can of worms.

Now we have to ask what is Asian.

(There are places in Western China where people look White but they speak fluent Mandarin and call themselves Chinese. Who am I tell these people that they’re wrong?)

And asking “what is Asian” will just end up deconstructing the concept of race.

As the hold Hindu saying goes “not this not that” and as NLP practitioners say, “the maps is not the reality”

And all our pre-concieved notions are broken down.

—This is one reason I’m very proud to be Filipino. Our mere existence fucks with your head!

• 11 Shaun // Jun 10, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Identify yourself as whatever you see fitting. If that happens to be ‘Asian,’ ‘Pacific Islander,’ or just plain ‘Filipino,’ I won’t judge you on it, and no one else should either.

And if they do, they’re a dick.

• 12 Anon // Jun 10, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Elan, I don’t really think Filipino’s existence fucks with anyones head! You’re proud and good for you.

Just because some white people ruled your land in the 1800′s doesn’t make you white and just because your island was isolated enough to not be as influenced with Chinese culture does not make you special. If anything since there is some Indian influence shows that the allegiances back in the day were more with India than China (unlike the rest of the South Asian countries which got more influenced by China). Also the gods baring little resemblence to other gods is purely a phenomena that can be chalked down the isolation of the islands back in the day which mens they were influenced by other cultures, but obviously isloated enough to include their myths and beliefs into their daily rituals.

• 13 elan' // Jun 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Y’know, bein of laws implemented in America, bg part White never makes anyone White. But in the caseeing part Black makes you Black. Even if you’re part White. Can’t you be both?

This attitude about race is a fabrication and it is changing.

Our attitudes about culture is a construct and our cultures are rapidly changing (some are even dying).

How do you classify a people? Why would you need to?

(to create the illusion of order, of course)

Pan Indian symbols can be found in all cultures that call themselves “Asian”. It doesn’t necessarily mean it makes something Asian– Beetles songs aren’t Asian, but its one point in my argument that we are.

My point about our old gods is that they’re not Polynesian (Pacific Islander) gods. Nor is our language. There are similarities between gods and language throughout the Islands of the Pacific despite their isolation.

If the mere existence of the Filipino doesn’t bring up questions of race, identity and culture, (things that fuck with your head) then why are we even having this dialogue?

• 14 elan' // Jun 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm

That’s a weird typo, I was trying to say:

“Y’know, being part White never makes anyone White. But in the case of laws implemented in America, being part Black makes you Black. Even if you’re part White. Can’t you be both?”

• 15 anon // Jun 11, 2009 at 12:34 pm

#8, your “evidence” isn’t even evidence (“the language is not asian”???), and regardless none of it even support your conclusion.

Clearly, Filipinos are southeast Asian. No statistical surveys I’ve ever seen (for example, the U.S. census!) classify Filipinos as Pacific Islanders — they are classified as Asian.

It’s obvious if you look at a map — Pacific Islanders are (surprise!) people from the Pacific Islands — islands in the middle of the Pacific. The Philippines are no further into the middle of the Pacific than Japan, and half of Indonesia.

Also, while there’s a lot of Spanish influence on the culture (e.g. the religion) and the language (in the form of vocabulary), that’s no different than anywhere else in Asia. Are far western Chinese not Asian because they share more culturally with central Asia/eastern Europe than eastern Chinese? Remember, Buddhism is from India, it’s not originally an eastern religion. And other than a good amount of spanish vocabulary, Filipino languages have nothing in common with Western languages — that’s why it’s classified an Austronesian or Malay-based language. As for names, that’s a ridiculous point, since (1) who cares — plenty of, e.g., Chinese and Koreans adopt Western names, and (2) Spanish names are common but by no means universal — in fact Filipinos differentiate between Spanish and Filipino names.

• 16 anon // Jun 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm

oh, and the current writing system was imposed by the Spanish during their rule. the original writing system is baybayin, which is like katakana (i.e. syllabic) but sanskrit derived.

• 17 elan' // Jun 11, 2009 at 11:02 pm

#16

well, baybayin for the Tagalogs. There were several different writing systems among the different islands and tribes.

Many bare some similarity to sanskrit.

• 18 elan' // Jun 11, 2009 at 11:12 pm

#15

sparked a question-

with Christianity growing and influencing South Korea, and to be a devil’s advocate and agree with #8, if South Korea became a Christian nation, would that mean that they aren’t Asian anymore?

English is also a growing language. They’re starting to teach English in Chinese schools at an early age. In a decade or so, this would make China the largest English speaking country in the world. Would that mean they aren’t Asian anymore?

See, evolving culture.

I think the Philippines is the forerunner of a more international world. Maybe pre-maturely, but we’re going to see a lot of East plus West in this century.

Lots of shades of grey. Lots of changing paradigms.

• 19 Anonymous // Jun 13, 2009 at 12:46 am

OK, now, for the love of God —

1) Geographic “Asia”
    2) Cultural “Asia”
    3) Let’s not forget – that even East Indians are “Asian”

300 years of Colonialism by the Spanish
    100 years of American Tampering
    =

This kind of confusion

The Philippines and Filipinos can basically choose whichever way they want to go — they can call themselves “european” if they want to, but basically — if you look more Chinese or if you look more Malay … why don’t you figure things out for yourself?

Jesus H. Christ – we have Filipinos (<< a term which referred to Spaniards who were colonizing the P.I.) saying that they’re “part Chinese, part Spanish …” and my ‘grandmother’ tells me my grandfather had blue eyes….

Oh Dear GOD —

People, our grandparents and their grandparents were brainwashed with this idea of “mestizo” and “mestiza” and that any cultures or habits that were basically proprietary to the indigenous cultures were “bad,” so they had to make them Catholic, change their names …

… and Guess What?!!

The P.I. are like, one of the only countries that keeps their name to honor the conqueror. Hint: Other places change the names of their countries when they want to get their identities back: LIKE: Istanbul was Constantinople now it’s Istanbul … and St. Petersburg / Leningrad (De-Stalinization), Bombay / Mumbai, Persia / Iran,
    …..

Wake up, people — they want you disinformed because that way …. you can be divided and conquered.

My preference is to call Indonesia and Malaysia part of my people.

Simple …

No, but the powers that be, that have control of your silly mind that believes what your lola told you – and you believe that you’re part Chinese, part Spanish, and your grandfather had blue eyes.

C’mon now … use your ‘common sense.’ Take back your identity. :)

Alibata, K not “C” as in kamusta ka … “lumpia” is also an Indonesian word — pasok in the philippines and masok (<< sp?) in Malaysia. Tao — different pronunciation in the Philippines, but means the same to Chinese … “people”

Wake up, wake up, throw away the Spanish / American brainwashing. Filipinos don’t really like SPAM, do they? Do we? American Army personnel brought that crap with them. Throw it back, like Mt. Pinatubo, right back at ‘em.

Do you realize that hot dogs in your spaghetti is as stupid as drinking Budweiser beer, wearing a wife-beater undershirt, with a gut dropping into your lap, sweating, farting, wearing pink or blue dime store flip-flop slippers, in the front yard with your Lolo.

Wake up …

Please. Please don’t say “I’m part Chinese, Spanish, and my grandfather had blue eyes…” just don’t.

• 20 Anonymous // Jun 13, 2009 at 12:54 am

Oh, and anyone want to go so far as put Filipinos in the same category as Samoans?

Haha.

Micronesia (small)
    Melanesia (dark)
    Polynesia (many)

Anyone ever see a Samoan or Polynesian?

Ever see a basketball player?

Do Filipinos look tall like basketball players?

As a whole, do Filipino men cause fear in other men, based upon their size and testosterone?

Not. Sorry.

Uhm … again, “common sense,” now people….

Filipinos are N-O-T Pacific Islanders.

Jesus H. Christ — once again, ….
    derogatory whiteman made up bullshit “island girl, island girl, island girrrrrl” (Elton John) — now Filipinos think they’re Islanders.

Well, let me tell you something:
    Irish people are “Island people,” but do we call their women, “Island Girls?” Was Elton J. singing about “the British Isles?”

There’s so little ACADEMIA on the topic of the Philippines that it’s simply safe to say we’re related to Indonesians and Malaysians end of freaking story —

Catholicism doesn’t “fit” for us. We should be Muslim or Pagan … anything but European worshippers. Wake up!

• 21 Anonymous // Jun 13, 2009 at 12:59 am

Samoans, Polynesians, Melanesians ….

Kinky hair, bra (bro) ….

Quote unquote “filipinos” (<< God, someone change the name of the Philippines / end the colonization brainwash already) are whatever they look like because it’s a mix …. some look very Chinese, some look Malay, some look itim (<< is that how you spell it, because your lola told you that if you stayedin the sun too long…) some are glorified mestiza(o).

You are what you look like … but again, please — enough with the “my grandfather had blue eyes… and I’m part Spanish with some Chinese…” it’s just not good stuff to hear – it’s just a tad tacky … and lacking in basic research …into one’s own culture.

• 22 Another anon // Jun 13, 2009 at 10:58 am

“do Filipino men cause fear in other men, based upon their size and testosterone?”

Umm… Manny Pacquiao does. :D

• 23 L.T. // Jun 14, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Filipinos ARE Asian. Ask someone who’s non-Asian and they’ll say so. It doesn’t matter if you’re Filipino, Chinese, Burmese, Korean, etc. , we all look the same to them.

• 24 Eurasian Sensation // Jun 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm

WTF? Y’all serious?

An Asian is someone from Asia. The Philippines is in Asia. Therefore Filipinos are Asian.

Don’t need a degree to work that one out.

Filipino languages are actually related to Pacific Island languages, as are Malay, Javanese etc. But Hindi is related to European languages, and that doesn’t make Indians Europeans.

Pacific Islanders are originally from Asia but have diverged culturally, genetically and geographically.

So really the question should be “are Pacific Islanders Asians?”

• 25 Lisa // Jun 23, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I know a black filipino and she is would never consider herself a pacific islander. She is an african-asian american or a-cubed, or AAA like the car assistance people.

• 26 tina y. // Jun 23, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Yes, irish women are not island girls, they are drunk island girls.

• 27 Melissa // Jun 24, 2009 at 12:21 am

Can’t we just say both?

Pacific Islanders = Islands in the Pacific ocean
    -The Philippines is an island in the Pacific.

Asian = Coutries of and that is in the continent of Asia
    -The Philippines is a country of Asia.

The Philippines has gone through so much change in the last 400 years+ that history can trace it back to both ethnicities, but the present only see what they want to see.

..Don’t judge a book by its cover.

• 28 Viet // Jun 26, 2009 at 3:35 am

If the Filipinos are considered “pacific islanders” then, Japanese and Taiwanese people would also be “pacific islanders”

Its either one or the other, so therefore, since Japanese people and Taiwanese people are unquestionably asian, that means that Filipino people also would be unquestionably asian.

• 29 Eurasian Sensation // Jun 27, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Put a Filipino, an Indonesian, a Cambodian and a Burmese person in a lineup and you would not necessarily be able to pick which was which. Not saying they look the same, but similar enough, since they are all South East ASIANS.

We should start another debate: “Are the English considered European?”

It would make about as much sense as this one.

• 30 Halfed // Jul 6, 2009 at 1:16 am

HONESTLY just because flip dont look oriental doesnt mean that they are not asian…
    Nordic decent people and Mediterranean(italians, greeks, etc…) dont look the same but they are both consideder to be white… and gentically Flips have the closest relation to aboriginal Taiwanese…

and about them being pacific islanders NAME ONE COUNTRY located so close to the equator native to that land that isnt darker??? and all countries share some culture from countries around them thats just the way it works…

• 31 angelo morgan // Jul 16, 2009 at 9:37 am

..begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul.

The illusion of being separate is at stake here. Why argue the merits of these separatists ideals.

Allow me to strip off your flesh, pummel your cultural habits, and expose your inner self.

Striving for the security of a label indicates insecurity….

• 32 Half and Half // Jul 16, 2009 at 9:57 am

Whatever your nationality is you should decide for yourself. I’m half Japanese and half American mutt. I see myself as both. I do traditions of both sides of my heritage. When you say your heritage on paperwork it is “Asian or Pacific Islander” as a choice, so just decide what you are.
    If you want to consider yourself as a Pacific Island that is fine. Hawaii is an island in the Pacific. Japan is an island in the Pacific. The Philippines is an island in the Pacific. It is perfectly fine to think of yourself as that. If you want to be Asian that’s fine too. The Philippines is geographically located in Asia. Or just consider yourself Filipino. It’s like Russia. Russia is geographically located in Asia, but most people when “Asia” is said they don’t think of Russia. So just choose as you please. People will say whatever they want no matter your race and no matter what you call yourself.

• 33 the real thing // Jul 27, 2009 at 3:15 am

I don’t think Filipinos are confused over their identities. I think Filipinos are proud of their Asian heritage and would like to clear the misconception of others that they aren’t related to anything Asian.

Yes, we are not as “yellow-skinned” as our neighbors but so do the Indonesians and Malays who are our closest neighbors.

Yes, Filipinos have been very fortunate to have adopted English as their second language, but so what? In Singapore, they speak and write fluent English also, but people don’t confuse them as not being Asians, right?

Yes, we are a mostly Christian country. Not our fault. Being under the Spanish colonial rule for over 400 years, we can’t help that. But South Koreans are steadily slowly becoming a Christian country. But do people question their being Asian? No..

We are as respectful to our elders as the Japanese and Chinese. We call our elder sister “Ate” and elder brother “kuya” much the same way as the Japanese call their elder sister and brother as “onii-chan” and “onee-chan.” We call our elders who aren’t related to us as “Tito/Tita” much the same way the Japanese call their elders as “Ojii-chan.” Some dialects in the Philippines use words such as diko, ditse, siobe to use as endearments for their relatives.

I think what is most unclear in this blog site is the idea of being “Asian”. The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans (people living in North Asia/East Asia) are not the only people considered as “asians.”

• 34 L.T. // Aug 2, 2009 at 6:07 pm

The thing that strikes me is that people are actually questioning whether Filipinos are Asian or not Asian enough.

• 35 Eh. // Aug 10, 2009 at 12:10 am

Filipinos are Asians. The only people who don’t think so are Filipinos who think that being Pacific Islanders make them unique.

• 36 One // Sep 14, 2009 at 12:38 am

Yes, oriental just like chinese, japanese, thai, etc. Specifically Southeast asian. And not african, pacific-islander, spanish, etc.

1. Only 3% of the Philippines population has spanish blood.(333 years wasn’t long enough compared to the thousands of years chinese were already there)
    1% arab, american, black, and other blood mix.

2. Filipinos are more oriental looking than some fil-ams think. Many southern chinese, malaysians, japanese, look like filipinos.

3. Oriental asian(east and southeast asia) has the dna gene haplogroup O dominant within their blood over 50% and not found anywhere else in the world.

4. Spanish surnames were forced upon filipinos. Filipinos chose a surname out of a book called “Catálogo alfabético de apellidos” when spain invaded. Very few intercourses between spanish and filipinos occured which is why only 3% have spanish blood. It could range also with a filipino having only 10% spanish blood, because Philippines is no longer a spanish colony and no longer having intercourse with spaniards.

5. Many filipinos retained their chinese last names like Sison, Chua, Ty, Sy, & Lacson, Ong, Go, Lee, and many others.
    Also many filipinos retained their malay last names like Abay, Inamarga, Payot, & Bornok.

6. 99.9% of filipinos around the world know that they’re oriental asian.
    0.01% happen to be mostly fil-ams in southern California.

7. Hundreds of thousands of chinese were already in the Philippines before the spaniards came in the 1500s and chinese were there for a millenia before that time. It just so happens that the Americans tried to cover this up stating that the Philippines was discovered by Magellan.

8. Chinese is the 2nd most largest population, 3rd being korean shows that culture, trade, language, genetics have always been present in the Philippines for generations.

9. Generally speaking, filipinos like other oriental asian eat rice everyday, almost every meal. Also have rice fields all over the country.

10. A large percentages of filipinos in the Philippines are light-skinned and have slanted eyes

11. Philippines is part of southeast asia and a member of ASEAN +3(Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Japan & South Korea) and all have acknowledged the Philippines as an oriental asian country. Also the US acknowledges this.

12. Philippines has the ‘mall of Asia’ also many ads, billboards, commercials, media, and many others mention the fact that the Philippines is an asian country. There’s also ‘asian journal’ a filipino newspaper.

13. Aside from rice, the food resembles alot with other oriental asian countries, mostly from China: Lumpia(eggroll), pansit canton(chowmein), orange chicken(orange chicken), garlic chicken(garlic chicken), chopsuey (chinese mixed vegetables), pinakbet, sweet and sour chicken(sweet and sour chicken) and many others.

14. The filipino writing system called alibata or baybayan was used before the spanish invasion and is related to many other southeast asian country writing systems.

15. If filipinos are islanders, then would japanese, taiwanese, indonesians, malaysian, austrailians, and new zealanders be pacific islanders too? Geographically many of these countries are closer to the pacific ocean than the Philippines.

16. Not all pacific islanders look hawaiin or samoan. There are 20000-30000 islands in the Pacific Ocean and some have people that look like african and even hispanic.

17. The Philippines is in the China sea, north is Taiwan, and west is Vietnam.

18. There are many other southeast asians that have light skin and slanted eyes. Also many south chinese, vietnamese, japanese that are dark and don’t have slanted eyes.

19. Around 4000-2000 B.C. ancestors from Yunnan Plateau in China settled in what is now the Philippines by sailing using balangays coming from Taiwan. Most of these group primarily used the Philippines as a pit-stop to go to the Indonesian archipelago further south. Those who were left behind became the ancestors of the present-day Filipinos.

20. Since 200 A.D. indigenous people of the what’s now called the Philippines were in contact with southeast and east asian nations.

21. Caucasian(white) is a diverse race too:
    Hair color: brunette, blond, and red, etc
    Eye color: blue, brown, green, hazel, etc
    Nose size: long and short
    Height: Tall and short
    Skin color: brown, tan, white, red, etc
    Hair texture: straight, wavy, curly

Mongoloid(oriental asians):
    Hair color: black and dark brown
    Eye color: black, dark brown, and brown
    Nose size: small and flat
    Height: Tall and short(mostly)
    Skin color: brown, white, pink, yellow, etc
    Hair texture: straight, wavy, curly

22. Top magazines state Manny Pacquiao the first asian to win 6 weight titles in the US.

23. All past and present leaders of the Philippines including the presidents state Philippines a asian nation.

• 37 Huh? // Sep 27, 2009 at 1:55 pm

The Philippines is in Asia, therefore, the Filipino people are Asians.

There you go, that’s your answer.

• 38 wow.. // Nov 13, 2009 at 2:22 am

filipinos are asians.

Consider geography, first of all. Just because the philippines is an archipelago found in the pacific ocean doesn’t mean that they’re pacific islanders. you dont consider japan, indonesia, taiwan, and new zealand as pacific islander nations, now do you? how can the philippines be an exception.

with regards to physical attributes, and some of you saying that filipinos don’t have “oriental features”… do the chinese look the same indians? or do arabs look like koreans? or do people from sri lanka look the same as people from japan? all these countries are part of asia, now arent they?

same goes for italians and french and german…
    they’re all europeans but you dont judge them base on physical features now do you?

seriously though, when you guys are able to tell me what a real asian/european/african/american/south american should look like, that’ll be great.

• 39 Macapagal // Mar 13, 2010 at 11:26 am

What’s with the blatant use of the derogatory word flip? For those who posted that word, are you spics, honkies, niggers, chinks, gooks, greaseballs, gippos, indons, injuns, nips, nidges, and wops? No? Stop with that…it’s uneducated and is disrespectful to yourselves as well as to those you target with those words.

Globally, the Philippines is part of Asia. Like it or not fellow Filipinos and fellow brothers and sisters of the world out there, Filipinos are Asians. On a personal and individual basis, it can get different and the difference is of choice. I’m an American being a direct descendant of Philippine, USA, European, and Portugal. When asked what my nationality is I tell the USA, but my ancestry is from the Philippines.

• 40 Andre // May 26, 2010 at 6:19 am

Filipinos aren’t Asians. They simply can’t be.

• 41 Raleigh // May 26, 2010 at 6:22 am

True, many Filipinos look “Southern Chinese” as you say, BUT the majority of rural Filipinos don’t look Asian. Most rural Filipinos in fact resemble Papuans and Australoids rather than Asians.

Filipinos are geographically Asian, BUT are culturally and racially Micronesian.

During the Spanish and American colonialism, the Philippines is considered part of Micronesia – I still think it is.

• 42 Mezz // Jun 23, 2010 at 3:39 am

Are any other Filipinos here *criinnggiiing* with me??!

This question has been asked TOO many times and the only valid answer is “Filipinos are Filipinos”! Why the hell do we think we have to strive for the “deserving” title of “Asian”?

Ya never hear Koreans or Afghans fret about whether or not they fit in with the rest of Asia. Who wants the burden of a label anyway? GET OVER IT!

• 43 Anon // Aug 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Filipinos are the poop of Asia.

• 44 Amir // Sep 9, 2010 at 11:09 am

Filipino-American guy here.

Difference
    - No buddhist influence
    - Polynesian based language
    - Tribal vs. centralized organization

Likeness
    - Rice diet
    - Developed arts
    - Patriarchal

I find that I have more in common, thus more comfortable, with Latin american culture than Asian culture.

• 45 Amir // Sep 9, 2010 at 11:18 am

Hanging out with Asian kids all my life also made me question if I am Asian. For the sake of avoiding argument, I would say I am either/neither.. depending on the situation.

However, girls of other races are more attracted to me than to my fellow AzNs who seems like folks who ventured too far out of China-town. Just facts. Granted, I do not look like Flips in rice rockets barely above 5 1/2 because of the Spanish in me (thanks pops!).

Filipinos are awesome although folks from the motherland (Philippines) always seem to give us a bad rep. Damn it Pinoys, get your act together!

• 46 links london // Mar 21, 2011 at 1:31 am

Good to hear that you are back to blogging. I am looking forward to some good article.

• 47 Markuva Genius // Mar 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm

For the person who said filipinos look more papuan and austronesian – we all know that the negritos were there, pretty much like the indigenous people before we all took the party down from Formosa.

The Philippines has a very small percentage of the population which was indigenous negrito, which genetically has been drowned out if it ever was integrated (not). Why be Asian? . . . because otherwise the culture is vulnerable to N wordification and beated to death and made to be all other things that it is clearly not (like blue-eyed Spanish, or Macho Mexican Hispanic, or Hawaiian, or African American).

Take hold of who you are and don’t let the census or boys in the barrio tell you who you are. We know who we are. We’re rice-eating asians, and our men are short and wimpy, some of whom wish as hard as they can to be tongan or samoan or latino or black – - – just so they can think they can fight. Haha. Class it up a bit, and get the mentality out of the american barrio and back into the beauty of Asia.

• 48 Trust Me - You're Wrong // Mar 6, 2013 at 5:57 pm

United We Stand, Divided We Fall ~ doesn’t anyone ever wonder if that was the intention of colonization? Doesn’t anyone question that hegemony and control require confusion as part of the domination?

Good thing the majority of us know that we’re Asian, can look at a globe, and realize that we eat rice and like coconut desserts, and have similar language and customs like our neighbors in indonesia and malaysia.

Good thing the Filipinos in the Philippines (at least) – realize that they’re Asian and that many lost American Filipinos have been influenced by the boys in the barrio to think that they’re Mexican / Latino. (Not a chance, shorties . . . not a chance) . . . and you’re no match for the huge gynormous Tongan / Samoan boys either (girls too). You (we, me) are neither Polynesian, Tongan, Samoan, Hispanic, Chicano, Latino, Hip-Hop African American, or “Pacific Islander” (tongan, samoan, or polynesian – check your height and physique and straight hair in the mirror – it is not kinky).

Mangosteen, Durian, Rhambutan, Longan, Lychee, Dragonfruit, Macapuno, . . . . southeast asian.

I know some of you wish we made tortillas, ate pinto beans, made tomatillo salsas, etc. but we don’t. We don’t eat breadfruit. We eat ube. We eat Lugaw (rice porridge / asian style). We eat noodles.

Mabuhay !!!! Selamat, Salamat . . . . Pasok / Masok – - – happy Lumpia (as they also eat in Indonesia).

Good bye and goodnight to my fellow Southeast ASians.

• 49 Trust Me - You're Wrong // Mar 6, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Oh P.S. – “because of the Spanish in me,” he said (poster above). hehehe

Here are some lines everyone will like:

* “I’m Part Spanish.”

(a person talking looks southeast asian, but says:)
    * “I’m Polynesian Hawaiian, Tongan, Chinese, Italian, Arabian (horse?), and Spanish – my grandmother is Spanish with Blue eyes and a straight nose.”

So, Oh wow – you’re like part of the rare 3% of the
    population. You’re like Royalty . . .

We’ve all heard these tall tales before – - -

“Be who you is, not who you is not. Those who do dis is da happiest lot.”

• 50 Not Mixed & Proud of It // Mar 6, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Mixed is not beautiful. I think many american filipinos make up or pass along stories told to them by a grandparent that they’re part Chinese or part Spanish (even though less than 3% of the filipino has european genes / blood)

Both of my parents are filipino, and my grandparents now deceased were filipino and their parents were filipino. No one told me any stories about being Chinese or Spanish – - I am proud of who I am.

There was a news story about a fashion designer in the Philippines who was dissed and criticized for making a huge campaign about Mixed Race being beautiful (as in – you’re only beautiful if you’re mixed with something and not full filipino). The fashion designer was Bayo or something?

There are forces out there that want to make us all one race. What a boring world if everyone became the same, if everyone became one boring homogenous mess. I think that’s called the NWO.

Ok – so no one has to believe in conspiracy theories, but look around. Look at the celebrities who have some or full filipino blood and the Media (Hollywood) will always say:

X Hollywood star is “Spanish / Chinese / Hawaiian” because in their eyes – being full blooded is not as beautiful glamourous valuable or desirable.

If you want to continue to be a self-hater, then continue on and perpetuate this myth that being who you are is inferior.

I say do just the opposite and embrace the fact that the Philippines is a sea of southeast asian faces and black hair and millions of beautiful full filipino faces.

Don’t believe the mix lie. Don’t lose your culture because the conquerers instilled an inferiority complex. Stop the madness now. ;) )

• 51 Not Mixed & Proud of It // Mar 6, 2013 at 6:31 pm

MIXED RACE is a lie, perpetuated by Hollywood to continue the inferiority complex of full blood being inferior.

Don’t let the race die out because Colonialism won’t die. I am proud to know that when I go to the Philippines that I will see a sea of millions of beautiful black-haired filipino faces.

The Fashion Designer Bayo tried to put the MIXED RACE is beautiful campaign on the table to filipinos who proudly say – - REJECTED it.

They know that the colonial myth of MIXED beauty is a lie.

I embrace being full filipino – - – long live Mabuhay !!! Selamat / Salamat / Masarap ang lumpia !!! hahaha (we share some beautiful culture and language with neighboring southeast asian countries). I embrace it. I love it. I love who I am.

Read more here.

• 52 Not Mixed & Proud of It // Mar 6, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Mabuhay !!!! Selamat !! Salamat !!!
    Rapsa Sarap Lumpia !!!

mangosteen, rambutan, lychee, durian, jackfruit . dragonfruit, macapuno . . . all beautiful southeast asian fruit.

I know some of you wish we ate breadfruit or tortillas and pinto beans, but that isn’t the case. No one rolls burritos in the Philippines, and our men aren’t of the huge machismo variety like the tongans, samoans, mexicans, hispanics, or latinos.

MIXED race / or wishing yourself to be another DNA is not beautiful. It is quite the opposite. Just ask the fashion designer whose latest trick was to patronize filipinos into the Lie that Mixed race / european is the only kind of beautiful ~ not true.

I am full-blooded filipino. You won’t ever catch me saying “I’m Chinese, Spanish, Cheetah, Leopard, and Norwegian…”

Here are the news stories – - – read for yourselves, and continue on with the MIXED is good if you want. We all know the lie. Long live Southeast ASIA.

• 53 Not Mixed & Proud of It // Mar 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm