Stuff Asians DON’T Like

Posted February 10th, 2009 by everydayasian · 53 Comments

Miley Cyrus, third from left

Miley Cyrus, third from left

Smack in the middle of this big ol’ racist picture is none other than Miley Cyrus, the biggest thing out of the Disney factory since Britney Spears, y’all. What’s worse is that her “apology” isn’t even one at all. It’s more like “I’m sorry that you’re offended by it because I didn’t do anything wrong” statement. Instead, she makes it about her. Poor me, boohoo, stop picking on me. The Organization of Chinese Americans is demanding more from her.

Ok, so you came here to learn about Asian people? Here’s a lesson: The slanty eye thing is VERY offensive! A lot of people don’t seem to understand and think it’s just a “goofy face” as genius Miley Cyrus said. But to many Asian-Americans, it’s degrading. It’s how we were taunted and harassed as children and sometimes as adults. It hurts.

I’m sure the photo was taken out of context and she and her friends had some kind of inside joke. Maybe the Asian kid in the photo didn’t care, or maybe he did but went along because he wanted to fit in (who hasn’t done that?). The problem is that millions of little girls want to worship Miley Cyrus and do everything that she does. What’s missing from her apology is that she never tells her MILLIONS of young fans that they shouldn’t make faces like that. Many kids make this face to be mean, and many make this face jokingly without knowing how racist it is. Just because it isn’t done maliciously doesn’t mean that it’s okay and it isn’t offensive to others.

Last 5 posts by everydayasian

Tags: Activities · Chinese · Famous · Films and Movies · Japanese · Korean · People · Shows · Social · T.V. · Vietnamese

• 1 Anonymous // Feb 11, 2009 at 11:16 pm

There is some asian woman sueing miley for 4 billion dollars over this who claims to represent 1 million asians.
    All I can say is if you guys get your $4000 dollars each, I’m sueing for 10 billion for that whole “white ppl cant dance thing”

• 2 Toby // Feb 13, 2009 at 10:37 am

Miley should be ashamed. I hate her and her stupid mouth.

• 3 Anonymous // Feb 17, 2009 at 9:04 pm

What a bunch of racist fucks.

• 4 set // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:11 am

damn, I thought this page was just gonna say \black people\

• 5 Asian #1,113,871,452 // Mar 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm

LoL at post #1, and this is funny stuff. People have got to stop getting offended so easily. I think the Asian guy should have tried to force his eye lids open. Now that would have been irony.

• 6 PeiWei // Mar 15, 2009 at 11:29 pm

@post5, I think the Asian guy /did/ force his eyelids open?

• 7 PeiWei // Mar 15, 2009 at 11:30 pm

@post5, I think the Asian guy /did/ try to force his eye lids open. This isn’t racist or anything, but I’m pretty sure that’s what happened…

• 8 Rocking the Great wall of China // Mar 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Haha. Not all Asians have slanted eyes & damn, don’t they know it!

*Goes to buy pirated DVDs of Hannah Montana*.

• 9 cho // Apr 1, 2009 at 4:32 am

it’s one thing to make a “goofy” face, another thing when you’re obviously trying to make slanted eyes. every white person has their eyes squinted. It’s like painting your whole face black and saying that it was just goofy makeup.

Yeah, it’s not really the first time people have made racial jokes with the eyes, even I do it and I’m Asian (and already have small eyes), but if you’re making millions as a ROLE MODEL for kids, THEN DON’T DO THIS.

With those scandalous pictures and now this, I wonder if Miley is just one more messed up girl that Disney shat out.

• 10 Umaga // Apr 6, 2009 at 2:18 pm

All I know is if this had been some kind of remark or gesture toward blacks, all HELL would have broken loose!!! Obama, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Condelesa Rice, Oprah, Johnny Cochran, and the whole freakin’ NAACP would be up in arms asking for Miley Cyrus’ head on a platter!!!!

• 11 stereomanic // Apr 8, 2009 at 7:09 pm

geez, when did the world become so overpopulated wiht “politically-correct” panties-in-a-twist hollier-than-thou hypocrites…yes, so what she did the squinty eyes thing…i’m asian (from asia) and most of us couldn’t give a rat’s ass if she pose like that. it’s not like we never made fun of white people (ang moh) or black people, i couldn’t care less for what race a person is, should i really be bothered what a teenage girl does whether it’s something stupid or “funny”? i mean teenagers never know everything, they are still learning. the fact that you get angry just proves you are insecure of how YOU look rather than the other. hey, i’m a mix of indian, indigenous bloodline and chinese and let me tell you my friend, i make fun of all my bloodlines does it make me a racist? if i meant it seriously yes otherwise..no..lol…you people make me laugh. So what if she’s a role model for kids? shouldn’t the parents play apart of the children’s growth rather than TV? sad sad news..me no rikey..this whole shebang is taken way out of preportion. i think perhaps maybe Miley wanted to embrace her asian side, i mean have you seen white people cosplay Naruto and Dragon Ball? god, help us all…but welcome to the family…now go work in the sweat shops and make me a coat dammit…

• 12 stereomanic // Apr 8, 2009 at 7:19 pm

sorry typo error..proportion instead of preportion

• 13 mileycyrus is a cock // Apr 9, 2009 at 7:57 am

i hate miley cyrus

• 14 Amy // Apr 11, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Okay, so I think we all need to remember Miley Cyrus is sixteen and we all made mistakes at that age. Just let the poor girl have a break, let her be normal for once. Yeah sure she is a role model and she is on TV but if your kid gets in trouble at school or daycare for doing this and you blame Miley Cyrus then there are bigger issues that need to be addressed…like hey, maybe you should teach your kids right from wrong and not let them be raised by TV.

In fact most young kids should never see this…they are watching Hanna Montana shows or movies on Disney channel…not the evening news, or TMZ, or anything that would bring this up. And if your kids is on the internet, maybe you…the parent…should be monitoring what they look at.

Okay, so before anyone starts freaking out about this comment…let me tell you out front, no I am not Asian so the eye thing would not directly bother me…but I’m Jewish so I’ve seen my fair share of discriminatory situations…(Ahem Prince Harry Nazi outfit)…and yeah bad judgement call…but no one went as far as to try and sue the royal family.

Also, if we do not let Miley Cyrus make mistakes while out with her friends…being a kid…she will end up growing up WAY to sheltered and then when she’s an adult and out in the real world she’ll become the next Britney or Lindsey.

she screwed up…too bad…the world will go on, just let her be a kid and stop treating her like she is an adult.

• 15 let me tell you what the big deal is // Apr 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm

To those who still think this is making a big deal out of nothing, you obviously, obviously do not understand how this was offensive in the first place. So do not talk like you know, especially if you’re not Asian.

It’s not about being politically correct, it’s not about Asians not liking their smaller eyes, and it’s sure as hell not that we simply can’t take a joke. Granted not all Asians have squinty eyes, but it is known as a stereotypical Asian characteristic, like big lips for African Americans–not necessarily derogative. However, when you imitate such a characteristic and say that it is your “goofy” face, on top of the fact that you’re Miley Cyrus (which gives us two reason to be pissed: 1) already freaking hate the idiot brat, 2) national teen icon), then it’s not okay, because that’s OUR every fcking day, “normal” face.

If she had apologized and justified her joke as being harmless because they were poking fun of the Asian dude in an affectionate way since they’re all very close friends, then that would’ve been okay. I mean, we get it, we make fun of our friends too. But she didn’t say that.

• 16 let me tell you what the big deal is // Apr 12, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Amy,
    we get it. she’s a kid and kids make mistakes. sure. but what we’re afraid of is how big of an impact this kid has on the other kids. a shitload of other kids.

so maybe the problem is that one kid has too much influence, and maybe society should try to limit that. but that seems a much more difficult solution than asking that one kid to just shut up and be good.

• 17 let me tell you what the big deal is // Apr 12, 2009 at 1:21 pm

scratch the last sentence of my first paragraph in the first comment. change it to “and listen up ESPECIALLY if you ARE Asian.” because it’s pure disgrace when people make fun of you out of malice and you laugh along with them like it’s the funniest thing.

• 18 Rich // Apr 13, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I am Asian. It’s a joke, jesus christ! why let something like that bother you and become an issue? that’s stupid.

• 19 AsianLiving // Apr 13, 2009 at 7:55 pm

to the people who have their panties-in-a-twist…there are far worst things in the world right now to pay attention to then a young teenage drama queen okay…
    I do not condone racism but man, are you asian american?
    Do you know how racist Asia is?
    HOW RACIST asia is? i’ve been called many many names by chinese alone not even witholding the amount of times i was called unpure because i’m freakin’ mix but if they did something along the lines of what Miley did as shown above, i’ll laugh at them and then i’ll get beaten up.
    Btw, i don’t hate chinese or whatever race anyone is. i can’t believe i must clarify this kind of thing. But if you must call her racist, i suggest we don’t be double standard and commit suicide for just being hypocrites…oh and yes, i add my egoistic self in as well. I can’t even stereotype jokes anymore thanks to people like you. so i suggest we sacrifice people like Ron josol or Russell Peters because i think they’re racist too…But whatever floats your fancy man..
    I think even America have proven to me how close minded people tend to be in general for the whole world…humans suck..

• 20 white guy // May 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

in that case, as a white guy i find asian people getting eye surgery to make their eyes larger permanently offensive!! hahaha… that’s worse than a temporary hand gesture.

• 21 white guy // May 15, 2009 at 1:41 pm

perhaps we should sue asians with eye lid surgery, on behalf of all non-asians. two can play this game. :D

• 22 中國比所有的國家好 // Jun 5, 2009 at 12:48 am

i seriously hate miley cyrus . she’s always been an irresponsible bitch. heck, she’s even worse than the jonas brothers. this girl has no sense of moral judgement.
    i would so mob her to death if she dared to come to my city

@white guy: those asians who do u have small eyes (unlike me) just think larger eyes are prettier. stupid

• 23 L.T. // Jun 5, 2009 at 6:36 pm

@ let me tell you what the big deal is :

Excellent post. You definitely hit the nail on the head.

• 24 pissed off // Jul 4, 2009 at 12:08 pm

i hate miley cyrus. shes a bitch. and before aswel i saw her do a racist english accent. now taking the mickey out of asians, whats next? its not the thing which is most annoying its the fact that she said “I’m sorry that you’re offended by it because I didn’t do anything wrong”
    ugghhh!! i hate people who cant admit theyre wrong, making a mistake is one thing, but not admitting that you made one is a whole nother thing. so miley, whos next on your hate-everyone-whos-different list?

• 25 Truth be told // Jul 5, 2009 at 12:50 am

check out this video. it explains why asian girl want to be white.

• 26 let me tell you what the big deal is // Aug 4, 2009 at 12:08 am

Wait a minute, at which point in this discussion did we agree that asian girls DO want to be white?!

Asian societies have adored large eyes since pre-western influence times, it subconsciously registers as a mark of innocence and thereby, youth. It’s as erroneous to say that Asians want large eyes, or pale skin because they want to be white as it is to say that white girls tan because they want to be black; pale skin in Asian society, the same as a golden tan in western society, is a sign of wealth.

@ white guy, um, according to your logic, I guess african americans should sue white americans for tanning? uh. what? @rich, I doubt any of us are terribly offended by the disney dunce; we offer our opinions in this trivial little discussion, just as you did (and what you had to say was even more trivial… mind you), because it doesn’t take much to.

• 27 let me tell you what the big deal is // Aug 4, 2009 at 12:40 am

@AsianLiving, what you say is true; that is currently the case in Asia–mad racist–3 times the UK probably. While that may be the case though, three things:
    1) I guess that tells you which is the more developed hemisphere?
    2) I wouldn’t say Miley’s problem is that she’s racist. It seems just as likely that you might find her imitating a retard, a deaf person, or someone with speech impediment.
    3) russell peters is a rock star because he balances so well on the fine line between saying something real and pissing people off, and saying nothing and pleasing everybody. and the fine line is a celebration of all of our differences. but it’s hard to find the balance sometimes when where you’re at is not a cultural mixing bowl like NYC or Singapore, and that’s why he’s so great.

• 28 Barron // Aug 23, 2009 at 5:30 pm

what an a–hole. i am white and find that imbecile “singer” making asiatic facial gestures very offensive and boycott all of her products and 4th grade musical numbers. thank you.

• 29 JCF22Lyoko // Sep 24, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Mikey Cyrus didn’t do anything wrong. She is just having fun and fooling around with her friends like any other teenage girl would. I’m Asian and I personally don’t find this offending not only because I am a fan of hers but also because anyone can make this face and Asians really do have slanted eyes. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time anyone has seen people do this. It’s amazing how easily people can get offended.

• 30 sandy // Sep 27, 2009 at 12:43 am

umm for ppl who say that she didn’t do anything wrong, it’s obviously because you teenyboppers are her fans dammit.

and those who say people are overacting, it’s cos you coudn’t possibly care less about Miley Cyrus anyway…

As for me, I started out not caring, but after reading the post, it sort of riled me up lol.

And yes, i do agree, it is really offensive and was how we were teased as kids (most of us anyway).

I often encounter it on the road (Australia) when we stop at traffic lights. I was 12 and remember this blonde bogan wind down the window and do it a couple of times to me (who was looking out at the time)

and the insecurity is not helped by Asian people seeking the Western perfection by eye enlargement/circle lenses/double-eyelid tools.

However, small eyes make a totally fine and even humorous insider-Asian joke.

• 31 m.i.m.i. // Nov 4, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Maybe Asians should start making horse faces; I’m sure Miley will love that.

• 32 Be logical // Nov 12, 2009 at 10:18 am

@let me tell you what the big deal is

Post #15 – half your reasoning is this is wrong because you ‘hate her already’? Good one.

As a 16 year old under a spotlight she makes mistakes and I forgive this, though I agree that as a role model maybe be a bit more apologetic.

Someone said people in China are racist. This is true (personal experience in China) but some people being racist doesn’t mean no-one of the same ethinicity are allowed to be offended (this idea itself is actually racist).

Half the time, people think they should be offended so they convince themselves they are, the other half of the time they don’t realise that it’s not racist unless there’s hate behind the gesture. It may be offensive to you yes, hence the given apology, but it wasn’t a racist gesture and hence it is forgivable.

Also as an asian (or otherwise) assuming all asians are offended by this – you are being racist.

• 33 lindy // Nov 19, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I think we all hate racist jokes no matter hoo we are depending if the joke is towards us or not.
    Either way wether miley cyrus is really racist or not, she can go to hell
    P.S. i hate miley cyrus

• 34 Danster // Feb 5, 2010 at 6:58 am

Why do Asians even assume that white people aren’t racist? I have read so many posts on forums from Asian Americans that want equality and respect. They want to get along. Why?

We need to learn from history that white people treat other races like cr*p overall. This is the way it has always been and always will be. It’s human nature. They treat black people like garbage and given half the chance they will treat all visible minorities this way too. Please don’t misunderstand me, there are many very nice white people in this world and I’m not suggesting they are all racist. But generally speaking, history has proven they cannot be trusted. That is fact.

I’m proud to be Asian and care about all my Asian brothers and sisters but some of you need to get your head outta the clouds. Do NOT promote interracial dating, in fact I recommend giving interracial couples a hard time. You can be nice to some white people but don’t trust them completely. I’m not saying be mean or racist, I’m simply saying we need to look out for each other and don’t trust white people. Be friends with your fellow Asians. I’ve seen some real Asian losers who can’t get along with their own kind and befriend white people. These people are the problem Asians in our society.

• 35 KR // Feb 12, 2010 at 12:38 am

Burn her ,her and her crappy songs

• 36 MiXed-Kid // Feb 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm

@Danster, you claim your not being racist, when in fact your acting exactly like one. \don’t trust white people\? Really what century are you living in? \ I must say you are quite the ignorant one, believing that all white people are bad. History changes and so do people. There bad people all over the world not just white, they can be Hispanic, Black and yes, even Asians. This goes vice-versa for good people. What is up with not promoting mixed races? I’ am mixed and proud of it. Being mixed allows you understand different cultures and not turn into some ignorant, narrow-minded person. \Asian losers who can’t get along with their own kind\ well, maybe it’s because your with them. They are not the problem, you are and your bigot ways. You are the problem why people cannot get along.

• 37 moon123 // Mar 14, 2010 at 5:32 pm

@white guy,

STFU you racist White BOY.

• 38 moon123 // Mar 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm

@Truth be told,

You know what ass hole, you think you can say whatever you want to Asians, but you’d be scared as heel to say these things to African Americans. Many ethnic minorities “want to look White” because of the media saying that White is beautiful, not just some Asians (and it’s not all Asians). Also, you need to STFU ugly White fuck.

• 39 moon123 // Mar 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm

@Danster,
    LOl. I agree with you that some White people are racist, but your opposition to interracial dating is ridiculous (probably because you can’t get a date and is blaming interracial dating as the source of your problem). And saying that Asians who have friends who aren’t Asian are losers, now who is the racist here? Racism can come from anyone, not just White people.

• 40 Nina // May 2, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This is so embarrasing. Weren’t North American people supposed to be politically correct, not racist and all that stuff?

@Amy: You said: \Okay, so I think we all need to remember Miley Cyrus is sixteen and we all made mistakes at that age. Just let the poor girl have a break, let her be normal for once.
    [...] She screwed up…too bad…the world will go on, just let her be a kid and stop treating her like she is an adult\.

Amy, did you know that in some countries people achieve legal adulthood at 16? She’s a teenager, but she’s not a child. I think she’s old enough to understand that making that gesture is not a good idea, don’t you think? Or maybe in the photo she was too drunk to even think about it…
    But in any case, she should be more careful of what she does, because of the role she represents.

• 41 Allison // Jun 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I’m American, of Chinese descent. I don’t make racist “jokes” because I think they are the lowest form of insult. No one has the right to mock another person for the way that they look.

I really don’t care if most Asians are racist or if some Asian Americans find racist gestures and humor acceptable.

You do that to me and you’re getting punched in the face, f-ker.

• 42 Allison // Jun 15, 2010 at 9:10 pm

@let me tell you what the big deal is,

I agree and in my experience, Asian Americans do this all too often.

• 43 Meh // Sep 1, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Fuck celebrities and pop/rock stars, go across the street once in while and talk to real people.

I don’t care if Miley choked on a donut while throwing a Notsi salute or SNL decided to throw pancakes in her face and call her an Asian pony.

• 44 Polskimama // Sep 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hey, the majority of Asian girls have bigger, prettier eyes than I do. I’m eastern European.

• 45 Darnell // Feb 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm

This is so stuipd sueing for a comment? i dont like miley cyrus but you guys are just fucking retarted get the fuck over it you guys act like your the only ones who are teased its part of america live with it or go back to your own country and live in a closet asswipes.

• 46 jim smith // Feb 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

This man is a hard-core anti-Asian racist.

Steve Edwin Canaday
    DOB 07/27/1955
    494-64-4253

• 47 mbt store // Mar 19, 2011 at 12:41 am

mbt sports shoes have been billed as the world’s smallest gym since they are of good help to increase muscle activity, strengthening and toning of the leg, buttock and stomach. mbt shoes clearance are designed to simulate walking in sand, it’s a multi-layered, curved sole that accomplishes this by mbt usa creating a natural but uneven walking surface. It is well know to people that mbt uk are quite helpful for them to keep healthy, such as activate neglected muscles, improve posture and gait, tone and shape the body.If you once have a try of the excellent cheap mbt shoes, you should know that back muscles takes place during everyday activities like walking and standing. mbt 4 u for “Masai Barefoot Technology”, this technology is meant to make the core strengthening muscles more active, creating better posture and increasing shock absorbtion for all of the joints. As people have paid more and more attention to their health, mbt store become increasingly popular with them. Undoubtedly, they have become the best mbt shop sellers in shoe market and they are quite well known as healthy shoes!SX

• 48 links london // Mar 21, 2011 at 1:42 am

Good to hear that you are back to blogging. I am looking forward to some good article.

• 49 Jablasian3 // Sep 25, 2011 at 7:28 am

I’m sorry to ask this but it seem more than appropriate since people keep referencing Black people situations. What are Asian’s people problem with black people? I mean we (Asians and Blacks) may not be on the same side of the boat, but we are still considered minorities. I’m Asian and Black and I always find Asians comparing the two historical and aesthetic situations. And then “sorta-kind of” bashing them or using the race’s name in a context that makes no sense or in a racist sense. I don’t know if theres a problem there b/c hey I’m an example that the two do mix. I think there a misunderstanding there, culturally or something. I hate to let comments get to me, but I just would like to know where they stem from?

• 50 alex // Jan 16, 2012 at 2:16 am

Seriously people say and do racist shit all the time and asians are the only ones who are so dramatic about it. First the UCLA girl gets kicked out of school now $4 BILLION for a goofy photo? Insanity.

• 51 tn // Apr 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm

whyare asian women and white men so obsessed with each other. asian men are much more handsome than white men and a lot cleaner. asian women are blind.

• 52 ilovehorseyrides // Aug 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Asians don’t like black people AT ALL

• 53 ilovehorseyrides // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Apologies if I was being racist… :)