#105 Internet Stardom

Posted January 6th, 2009 by Peter · 18 Comments

The other week, I was sitting at a dinner table talking about Asian Central to a family member of mine. Immediately, she asked if Asian Central could make her daughter famous, as if fame and stardom could be transferred just by word of mouth. (I’m not famous, by any means… but SAPL is one of the more well known Asian sites out there). That’s why today’s post is about Internet Stardom.

worldwidewebKevJumba, Happy Slip, TheWineKone, Marié Digby, Yellow Fever, Acoustic Guitar Tabs … What do all these things have in common? They’re all Asian Sensations on the web. Whether it is via Youtube (which most garnered their game from) or web presence, they have all made their marks on the internet landscape of the early 21st century.

Back to the story: Realize that my aunt’s son was only 4 years old. My other aunt walked 20060516-asian-kids-smallerby and said that she signed her son up for Asian Central but he wasn’t famous yet (Funny right?). She proceeded to ask me why her son wasn’t famous. How the heck am I supposed to answer that?

With Simple SAPL Induction: Asians are hardwired to make money. Asian Example: William Hung became a celebrity and made millions by being a complete idiot on television. Stardom Equals Money. Therefore, Stardom is one of the things that make money. Haha.. not a good analogy, but you get the point. With all that said…

Check out this kid. He’s only 4, and he’s bringing Michael Jackson Back.

Or This Guy, who’s one of the first search results for “hoobastank tabs” on Youtube:

Or maybe this video, which has been viewed over 1,500,000 times:

Or maybe this video, which is only ONE of KevJumba’s smash hits:

Check out his Channel

These are all asians that have made names for themselves online. As the trend continues, Asian Moms, Aunties, and Uncles everywhere will believe that the internet is a medium for their children to be known. Shows like iCarly and Hannah Montana only make matters worse. Think about it, asian parents trust that Disney Channel will deliver moral and innocent content to their children. These two shows encourage them to “broadcast” themselves online in hopes of making it big.

Due to these shows, say good bye to education. Say good bye to the days of nerdy Asian girls wearing thick glasses, and say hello to:

london

London Tipton (Brenda Song), one of the nitwits on the Suite Life show. (Don’t ask me how I know these shows, they’re blasted in the living room by my nieces 24/7.) Look what she teaches Asian Kids while their parents are out hard at work:

Asians, savor the intelligence that we have been known for the past couple of decades, because the truth is… that lifestyle is dying about as fast as Brenda Song makes a crappy joke about being wealthy and snooty. Sorry for the rant, just had to vent about how bad an influence Disney Channel is. But, I hope I made my point. Internet Stardom is sought after by a younger asian generation, one that believes that it can truly survive in Hollywood. That’s why, my friends, you’ve been reading a post about Internet Stardom for the last 5 minutes.

Special Thanks to Gabe for the Article Suggestion!
Peace Out!

Tags: Activities · Asian Parenting · Chinese · Comedy · Culture · Customs · Environment · Habits · History · Humor · People · Products · Relationships · Social · T.V. · Work

• 1 paolo // Jan 6, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I hope some day my website too will become the arbiter of pinoy internet stardom! it’s not yet as famous as SAPL but it’s getting there hehehe…

• 2 Bella // Jan 6, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Just a thought: What if Brenda Song’s character was the opposite of what is now? Let’s say middle class and somewhat of a brain; would it be more like she is portraying stereotypes?

I also think some of the shows Disney has are just … not what they used to be back in the day, haha — and that her character is not really teaching kids anything. But I’ve also wondered what the reaction would be like if she portrayed the opposite of what her character is.

• 3 Kvietgrl // Jan 7, 2009 at 2:53 am

Bella: I thought about the same too. The thing is that she doesn’t have to be the opposite. I think Peter’s point is that what’s really the benefit in portraying an airhead, rich, spoiled, and materialistic girl when you can have someone more real. There’s really no point to her character and I’ve mostly seen negative effects on the kids I know personally. She is not the typical asian girl, but definitely not a typical character for kids to watch and imitate 3-5 doses/episodes daily. Personally, I don’t see any added value that outweighs the negative influence. This is all speaking against the show, not Brenda Song, because we don’t know her. She’s very successful; however, the character she plays on the show is unnecessary.

The asian kids in my area including my relatives basically worship brenda song, the spoiled disney channel character, as their role model and talk and act exactly like her. She’s the most seen asian figure on the disney channel, which is popular among many asian kids and preteens because that’s the only asian face they see on tv. These kids are all really hard to deal with and very spoiled. Now, busting stereotypes is nice, but how’s influencing the next flock of kids/pre-teens into spoiled kids? And how does this make non-Asians stereotype Asians from watching this one character? Just some more questions to consider.

• 4 Will // Jan 10, 2009 at 1:52 am

Goodbye nerdy asian girl yes, goodbye asian guy…probably not so soon.

But then with the few male asian actors anyway, I don’t know if I could go with no male asian actors at all as opposed to having more male asian actors…though stuck in the nerd role.

THAT, I think, is a conundrum.

• 5 Angela // Feb 17, 2009 at 5:10 pm

what are you talking about? is it just your family? cuz my family definitely does not want us to be famous on the internet. in fact they would rather have us not post videos or pics on the internet.

my mom was tellin my uncle that I was a model for our school prom fashion show but at first he thought she meant being an actual model.. he didn’t really approve of that.

n the other day my mom said that Chinese people before like when she was younger did not see celebrities in such a positive light.

maybe thats just Chinese people that are that way, I dunno.

But I’ll admit only one of my friends who is Chinese, her dad wanted her to be famous. maybe he was joking. >.>

• 6 blissfulting // Feb 17, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Ok, I admit, after coming across kevjumba on youtube a while back, I couldn’t help but want to be an internet celebrity. Needless to say, that phase passed…

But now I almost want to be an SM Entertainment (talent agency in South Korea that debuts mega hit pop star bands) trainee…haha. Mostly because I would love to work with bands like DBSK and Super Junior. (I’m a die-hard fan of kpop). But I do realize how SM is pretty superficial with favoring looks over talent, though I admit they’re good at finding looks WITH tremendous talent…that’s why they’re so successful.

Anyway, sorry about my kpop rant. I’m in a korean boy band obsession-craze right now. Can’t help it.

But I HAVE always nourished a secret dream of becoming a popular singer/dancer one day, because I just love performing…though I do realize it’s not very practical :/

• 7 Anonymous // Feb 22, 2009 at 10:12 am

I thought this would talk about internet “uljjangs” that are big in Asia now but I guess not.

• 8 Kiki // Apr 13, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Ugh, Brenda Song… it’s great that she’s representing us Asians, but I met her two years ago and she was such a brat. My little sister asked for a picture with her- and there wasn’t anybody rushing her along or anything- and Brenda immediately got her phone out, pretended to talk to someone, and walked away without so much as a “hello”.

• 9 Topics about Asians » Blog Archive » #105 Internet Stardom // Apr 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm

[...] Peter created an interesting post today on #105 Internet StardomHere’s a short outlineImmediately, she asked if Asian Central could make her daughter famous, as if fame and stardom could be transferred just by word of mouth. (I’m not famous, by any means… but SAPL is one of the more well known Asian sites out there). … [...]

• 10 Kevin // Mar 7, 2010 at 1:13 am

I realize I’m a bit late to the discussion, but I’d like to point out that Song plays the main character in Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior, who is nothing like the character in Suite Life. (I know both of these because my little sister watches quite a bit of Disney Channel)

• 11 Anonymous // May 7, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I wondered why Peter Chao wasn’t on the list, but it’s probably because he is too inappropriate for small children.

• 12 Nana // Jul 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

NigaHiga isn’t on this list! Haha :)

• 13 huu // Jul 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Supra Footwear which started with the production of functional skateboard shoes at first, in recent years emerged as a new force with luxury materials and exaggerated form, led to many stars unconditionally in their behalf. For Mens Supra Shoes, welcome to our online store.

• 14 Hair Straighteners // Sep 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I love your website!

• 15 wood pellets // Mar 1, 2011 at 1:19 am

The coal and oil industry demands extremely high standards for the availability of Steel Plate for Oil Transport. To meet these standards, ASTM A516 Grade 70 is created by some with the worlds finest steel mills together with the plates getting furnished with mill certification and stampings creating them fully traceable. Customers may also be here you are at have the steel inspected by way of a alternative party testing organisation to confirm the standard of the material. Prepainted Steel Sheet

• 16 Gucci bags // Mar 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm

white people tip. asians don’t. esp in tourist locations, they will give you better service, because they’re used to white Gucci bags people tipping them.

• 17 Moncler outlet // Mar 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm

white people tip. asians don’t. esp in tourist locations, Moncler outlet they will give you better service, because they’re used to white people tipping them.

• 18 trulyasian // Apr 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

not true for all. for asian parents their priority is for their child to go to a goo school, do best, earn lots of money as a doctor, lawyer, businessman, etc… This is usually the dad’s role to make sure happens. The moms on the other hand would either support that family dream to the child or find ways to make more money too. And having female asians loving their drama shows, pushing their child as a celebrity isn’t a ba option for their child’s future.

so it all boils down to money… not necessarily internet stardom, but stardom that would bring lots of money and be a proud mother saying “that’s my son!”