#103 Naming Daughters After Jewelry

Posted December 10th, 2008 by Peter · 29 Comments

Here’s a very insightful submission from “The Skipper.” I see this time and time again especially with parents that are overbearing. Enjoy!

three-stone-diamond-ring.jpgAsians love to name their children, especially daughters, after brand labels. Surely you know of a Tiffany or Chanel.

To understand this trend, one must first explore the different expectations Asians have between their sons and daughters. In a society practicing promigeniture, the sons are expected to carry on the family name and possibly do something productive once they move out of the house by age 40, whereas the daughters are seen as chattel… like jewelry. You will never meet an asian man named Dunhill or Zegna. This is because the asian parents value their sons more than their daughters and do more to save them from societal mockery. And don’t think the asian parents are not aware of what they are doing when naming their daughter Cartier. They are supplanting their subliminal message to offer their daughters for sale. It is a well known statistic that daughters named after jewelry tend to fetch a higher dowery than non-jewelry named daughters.

So the next time you meet your friend’s new wife Prada, recall the points of this article.

Tags: Activities · Beauty · Comedy · Culture · Customs · Environment · Habits · People

• 1 Amanda // Dec 11, 2008 at 3:02 am

…primogeniture. ;)

Have you guys noticed that in nineties-era HK films, a lot of the female leads are named ridiculous names like Candy, Appke, Banana, Cherry? Why why why why why?!

• 2 ambitious // Dec 12, 2008 at 9:23 am

I don’t find this true of any asians that I know….

If anything, I think it’s more common in the black population.

• 3 Peter // Dec 12, 2008 at 12:45 pm

@ambitious

I think it’s becoming more common these days, where overbearing parents are giving birth to precious children that they can’t let out of their sights

• 4 Snobby // Dec 13, 2008 at 9:31 pm

It’s either jewelry or jewellery, but not jewlery[sic]

• 5 Anonymous // Dec 16, 2008 at 9:04 pm

don’t forget jade or pearl!

amanda, i’ve seen hong kong tv shows where the character’s name is apple.

• 6 Quentin // Dec 17, 2008 at 7:59 am

Wait what?? I definitely agree with [ambitious] on this. Crystal, Jade, and Pearl make sense because I know a couple of them but Diamond… Prada… Chanel?? are you kidding?? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just have never heard of Asian daughters named like that.

• 7 Nhi // Dec 18, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I know of no Asian girls named after brand names. That’s just tacky.

…and I agree with ambitious — it seems more common among the black community.

xDD

• 8 Ucy // Dec 19, 2008 at 8:23 am

I do know of an Asian man named Diamond!

• 9 Sook! // Dec 22, 2008 at 7:50 pm

HA! Oh man.

My mom and her two sisters are all named after gemstones. My mom’s Beryl (emerald, May’s birthstone), her younger sister’s middle name is Pearl (June), and my youngest aunt’s name is Ruby.

• 10 caro // Jan 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm

so im korean and my little cousin’s named Chanel. she’s about 12 now, so i guess that trends kinda recent. ughhh i hate the name Jade for asian girls, thats just sooo cliche!

• 11 Alison // Jan 30, 2009 at 2:21 am

I am so glad I wasn’t named after jewelry. But then again, I was named after a fictional tv character and because the second part of my name has the word \son\ in it. My aunt wanted my mom’s second child to be a boy.

• 12 Scarlett // Feb 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm

To Alison: I’m just glad I’m not named Jade lol.

And the trend does seem to be more prevalent among the black community. But I sometimes kinda wish I was named after a gem. Just because :)

• 13 Gareth // Mar 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm

The first Asian girl I ever met in primary school was called Tiffany. And I know at least two named Ruby.

• 14 Giselle // Mar 25, 2009 at 3:02 am

I teach in Hong Kong and I know quite a few Tiffanys, Chanels and Chloes (after the bags)

• 15 PearlynRae // Mar 25, 2009 at 8:53 pm

…just look at my name! ^

oh and i have a god- daughter who’s older sister is named Chanel.

• 16 T // Jun 15, 2009 at 6:43 pm

damn it. i thought i was special (tiffaney)

• 17 Yashmine // Jul 5, 2009 at 3:39 am

This is very true in Indonesia. Here people name their daughter after jewelry. The name “Intan” for example, is a very common name here. “Intan” means “diamond”. Another version of “Intan” is “berliana”, also written as “berliani” which are share the same meaning: diamond. There are another examples; “Mutiara” (= pearl), “Safir” (= sapphire) to name a few. Interesting!

• 18 dbals // Oct 16, 2009 at 1:28 am

I know this is an old post but my question is about asian naming and this post might be an appropriate place. I’m an Indian and so I was puzzled when I found out some asians have names like Steve, Josh, Jessica, Laura etc. Typical american names, to be precise Christian names, but their last names are always asian.
    Are these people really Christians by religion or just naming to adapt to american society?

I was told by a chinese friend that there is no religion in China. So probably these people don’t care if their name sounded christian when they are not?

Names like David, Mathew, John, Peter are common among Indian folks too, but mostly they are always Christians by religion. Oh there are a tiny minority who just contract their long hindu first name to make it easier for americans to pronounce.

• 19 Charvi // Nov 27, 2009 at 10:22 am

Ahh I guess in this blog when you say Asian you mean China, Korea and all those places >_<

Out here in India the parents choose beautiful Sanskrit/Vedic names for their daughters :P

• 20 Angela // Feb 14, 2010 at 10:28 am

Yes, I am African-American and you will find that this goes on a lot in our communities with no real purpose though. A lot of us like it because it might have a nice ring to it. Then sometimes, a lot of us not all will start naming their children after the moon, the stars, expensive cars, months of the year like April and June.LOL!! Little nicknames get even worse! I was called “poo” “poo” or ” good stink”. What the hell is a “good stink?” Thanks to my dad, boys I grew up with will never forget the day when he yelled out “Poo “poo”, get in the car! and I see out the corner of my eye that they were laughing at me. Yes, the crazy trend of naming in our community goes far and beyond. Not all the time though. I have old school parents.

• 21 Angela // Feb 14, 2010 at 10:34 am

@Nhi, Yes, it is more common in the black community. Not all the time though. I am black and like I said in the other post, it becomes crazy.LOL!! No real meaning or significance but just for the way it sounds I guess. I have a boring name as well as the rest of my family.

• 22 MissCuba // Mar 19, 2010 at 8:37 pm

When I saw this the first thing that came to my mind was the name Krystal! I know like 4 and their all Asian!! LOL!

• 23 People these days... (*shakes finger*) // Mar 21, 2010 at 4:13 am

@dbals, I don’t think their supposed to be seen as Christian, W.A.S.P. (as much as they sound like them), they’re just English names. For example, I’m Chinese, and my name is Cassandra, but my last name is a Chinese surname. It’s just a step my parents took to adapt into American life. And yes, most Chinese do not have a religion, but I don’t really see those names as so-called “Christian” names. It’s not like it’s Chinese people in China called that. If you’re an ABC (American born Chinese) like me, it’s a very normal thing!

• 24 trulyasian // Apr 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

this isnt true for most asian countries, one asian country that this is oh so true is philippines… and jewelry is just one category. some are named after months (april, may, june) or sounds (ding dong, bong) and whatever else you could think of :p

• 25 louis vuitton handbags wholesale // Jun 14, 2011 at 4:49 am

I am absolutely amazed at how terrific the stuff is on this site. I have saved this webpage and I truly intend on visiting the site in the upcoming days. Keep up the excellent work

• 26 -_- // Nov 14, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I know a Crystal, Jade, Pearl, and Coral.

It’s ridiculous.

• 27 Gold Price // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

What a great class you are offering! Everyone really needs a good foundation. It is sad to see something beautiful with wonky connections that you know will be falling apart in no time. I wish you great success with this,

• 28 BLAH // Jul 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Lol I find this totally hilarious!
    My name is Megan and Megan is Welsh for pearl.
    And also, I am Asian. XD

• 29 NoelM // Aug 2, 2012 at 8:27 am

My cousin named her Diamond. I asked my aunt why they named it to her and told me bec. she’s “precious” to them..

We are all asians too..