Learn an Asian Language

Posted October 8th, 2008 by Peter · 10 Comments

Alright, here’s the lowdown. Since Stuff Asian People Like started, I’ve gotten numerous emails about people who are dying to learn an Asian Language or two (you know, for business or impressing that special someone). However, due to the millions of products out there, they’ve had no idea or direction in their decisions. I’ve done a massive amount of research (as we at Stuff Asian People Like are known for), and have narrowed it down to either hiring a tutor for around 20-30 dollars an hour, or purchasing some language software.

Now, before I continue, I want to tell you that my native language is Vietnamese. I’ve been interested in languages and linguistics since the age of 9, and I finally was able to learn the ins-and-out of Chinese using Rosetta Stone. It’s a pretty simple program: You stick it in, you install it, and then you start learning the basics of the language. To reinforce it, the makers use mix and match puzzles, voice activated games, and other random tutorial methods better suited for younger children. But then again, aren’t we all like children when we’re learning these things? We need to learn with reinforcement and images.

I’ve had experiences with language tutors, which are very effective, and can be contacted and spoken to over Skype if they are too far from you. That’s perfectly fine. As language softwares go, Rosetta Stone is pretty good in all aspects. However, the CDs can be a bit cumbersome to stick in and out (if you have multiple levels), but that’s nothing an ISO copy and mounting can’t fix.

If you have any questions, email us at asianslike@gmail.com.

If you want to learn via teleconference, you can download Skype for Free:

Skype - call the world at rock bottom prices

I’m on Skype quite a bit, so you can ask me pretty much anything!

If you want to learn more about Rosetta Stone, click here:

Tags: Learn Asian! · People

• 1 mvuong // Oct 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Are you actually interested in the linguistics or just interested in learning languages you never knew? I’ve come to dislike the widespread use of the word linguistics to not mean the study of language to studying various languages.

• 2 Peter // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:06 am

I really like linguistics as in the study of various languages. In a way, it’s cool being able to speak to people that don’t really “expect” for you to know their language.

• 3 Linh // Oct 9, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Just wanted to clarify that linguistics is just the study of the mechanisms of language (syntax, semantics etc.). It isn’t tied to a particular language. I made that mistake myself, telling everyone I want to major in Linguistics while all I really wanted to do was learn a lot of foreign languages.

• 4 mvuong // Oct 10, 2008 at 9:43 am

Linh, you would be right on that count. I’m a linguistics major and people assume it means I learn a lot of languages, which I have done but isn’t tied to my major. There are many many people like you that initially take up the major and realize that we are more interested in the difference between a [b] and [p] sound than what the word for “cat” is in various languages. They then quit.least

• 5 Peter // Oct 10, 2008 at 10:32 am

Yep. Languages are so fascinating. It’s a shame when people don’t even know their own native tongues.

Peter.

• 6 Dakota // Oct 19, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Yeah languages really are cool.

• 7 Anonymous // Apr 8, 2009 at 9:02 pm

My complaint about the rosetta stone is that they teach you a few useful nouns but no useful verbs

• 8 John M // Jan 2, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Do not forget the ultimate language learning method: a boyfriend/girlfriend who is a native speaker of your target language. That really did it for me. It does require a larger commitment than the other methods, though.

• 9 Manda // Mar 4, 2010 at 1:09 am

any one have a suggestion for learning a language when Rosetta Stone makes you want to stick your head in a blender and no local school offers classes in a language that you’re looking for?

• 10 A // May 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm

has anyone tried livemocha.com ? its a free language learning website.