Define Stereotype: A simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group. – Dictionary.com
As we’re trying to simply explain how and why certain stereotypes about Asians exist through lighthearted humor, we are by no means endorsing them. We always try to make clear our mission. To balance the beam and hear the ‘other side” of the argument, Stuff Asian People Like is starting a series called ‘Busting the Stereotype” and we need your participation! Thank you so much for your contribution to last week’s “Busting.” Each week we will list a stereotype about Asians and if you are living proof that it’s not true, please post a comment. If you know someone that’s living proof, refer them to comment.
This week’s stereotype is ‘Asians Can’t Sing.’
1. If you are Asian and can sing, post a comment, and that basically counts as a vote against it. Youtube and imeem files are welcome and will be featured.
2. If you are Asian and can’t sing, post a comment. Youtube and imeem files are welcome and will be featured.
3. Both sides, do you agree with the stereotype that most Asians can’t sing? What are your thoughts and how do you feel about this stereotype?
4. Here are some guidelines to determine if you can or cannot sing: if ever in your life, people have told you enough times you’re good, then that might be a good indication. If people cringe when you want to see, hehe, then you’ll know.
We will then keep a running tab of which stereotypes are ‘busted” the most. Thanks for your continual support of the Stuff Asian People Like Project!
Note: We’re using a new comment box system to prevent spam. This may mean you’ll need to double click into the field boxes to write a comment.
Last 5 posts by kvietgrl
- #109 Being Skinny - February 10th, 2009
- #97 Model Poses - October 22nd, 2008
- Just for Laughs #2 - September 10th, 2008
- #A Busting the Stereotype: Asians Are Short - September 10th, 2008
- #82 Mangosteen - July 17th, 2008