Define Stereotype: A simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group. – Dictionary.com
As we’re trying to simply explain how and why certain stereotypes about Asians exist through lighthearted humor, we are by no means endorsing them. We always try to make clear our mission. To balance the beam and hear the “other side” of the argument, Stuff Asian People Like is starting a series called “Busting the Stereotype” and we need your participation! Each week we will list a stereotype about Asians and if you are living proof that it’s not true, please post a comment. If you know someone that’s living proof, refer them to comment.
This week’s stereotype is “Asians Are Short.“
- If you are Asian and tall, vote on the poll, post a comment, and that basically counts as a vote against it. Talk about how it’s like being a tall Asian.
- If you are Asian and short, vote on the poll, post a comment. Talk about how it’s like being short.
- Both sides, do you agree with the stereotype that most Asians are short? What are your thoughts and how do you feel about this stereotype?
- Here are some guideline numbers derived from Wikipedia on Human Height. 5’6” / 1.68 meters or taller for females. 5’9” / 1.75 meters or taller for males.
We will then keep a running tab of which stereotypes are “busted” the most. Thanks for your continual support of the Stuff Asian People Like Project!
Note: We’re using a new comment box system to prevent spam. This may mean you’ll need to double click into the field boxes to write a comment.
Last 5 posts by kvietgrl
- #109 Being Skinny - February 10th, 2009
- #97 Model Poses - October 22nd, 2008
- #B Busting the Stereotype: Asians Can't Sing - September 30th, 2008
- Just for Laughs #2 - September 10th, 2008
- #82 Mangosteen - July 17th, 2008