#89 Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle

Posted August 18th, 2008 by Justin · 59 Comments

Through first-hand experience, Asians who like sporting over-priced brand names tend to go for A&F, Hollister, or AE. Take a minute and think about your wardrobe – do you own at least one article of these clothing brands?

Try walking into one of these stores especially during Holiday sales, and you’ll see Asians swarming everywhere – trying on clothes left and right. What’s behind this beachy, white-washed clothing trend that continues to gain precedence day after day? It has even outlasted the Roxy, Hurley, Billabong, and Volcom craze. At this moment, you’ll probably find more Asian teens (especially in high school working part-time jobs) buying clothes from these brands.

Credit: http://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/kidswereus.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/coccos.jpgHere are some social reasons. Many kids wear it at school, so you might want to try out the trend as well. The media or celebrities can set the trend. These brands are also not cheap, so the middle class Asian would have to go out of his or her way to intentionally buy and wear these brands. Back then, not every parent could afford these brands for their kids, so the kids who wore them might have believed themselves unique, special, or part of a higher class.

In fact, Marker of Affluence is one of the cases where brands have succeeded among American youth. Remember those $2.95 jelly sandal days in the 90s? One popular girl walks in with them, and the next day, 10 more girls must have them, and the next day, almost the entire school is begging their parents to buy them the newest trend. They came in pink, lilac, clear, and glitter.

A&F, Hollister, and AE’s availability and presence in almost all big malls play another role in rubbing onto not just White and Asian people but people of all races. Even if an Asian does not want to follow the trend, they might be tempted or curious to enter these stores to go bargain hunting.

Size is a also a big deal. These stores are not your Old Navy or Gap where clothes fit the average person. These sizes are made for extra-skinny people. This means that Asian people might be able to find sizes that will fit their usually petite bodies and smaller frames. Aside from the fitting style, some Asians simply just like the look. Remember, not all Asians fall for for these trends and would pay for cheaper clothing that still looks good and fits more with their personal style.

Credit: http://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2002/04/18/bu_wong2.jpgYou may have forgotten, but there was once a huge controversy in 2002 when Abercrombie & Fitch came out with T-shirts featuring Asians with slanted-eyes, rice-paddy hats caricatures, and stereotypical phrases. With a long history of these images provoking negative stereotypes about Asians, these T-shirts angered many people and were immediately pulled off shelves. Ironically, Hollister has nothing to do with the mainly agricultural city named Hollister. It began in Ohio and was inspired by the Southern California laid-back, surfer lifestyle.

Remember that AC Boy and AC Girl are simply part of a cultural series of characters that represent and highlights different Asian ethnicities, clothing, and customs and by no means related to or endorsing the negative stereotypes of the past.

Source:

Last 5 posts by Justin

Tags: Activities · Beauty · Clothing · Habits · People · Products

• 1 Rebecca // Aug 18, 2008 at 8:24 pm

I am completely unconvinced by this entry.

• 2 Eric // Aug 18, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Am I the only one that found those A/F shirts funny? You’re all way too offended over these little things.

• 3 Justin // Aug 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm

@rebecca, you’re not supposed to be convinced to like these clothing lines. the satire is that there is weak and even unreasonable causes for Asians to wear these brands. too many people wear them – it’s lost the uniqueness factor. in fact many asians are starting to hate wearing them now.

@eric, im with you in that people get over offended nowadays but (i dont find them funny or offensive), im just stating the history of abercrombie and asians.

• 4 YASPy Chick // Aug 19, 2008 at 5:56 am

A gentle reminder that “petite” doesn’t mean skinny frame, but under 5’4″. Also, Hollister, AE and A&F isn’t “true prep.”

• 5 YASPy Chick // Aug 19, 2008 at 5:58 am

^^^
    One more thing: I think Asians have been obsessed with these brands for a while now. My cousin, who is in his early 20s wore A&F some three years ago. Before these brands were the craze, Asians were wearing Banana Republic and Club Monaco (many older ones, as in 25+ still do, especially Banana Republic, since they make petite sizes.)

Should add: To find out more about what petite really means, please visit my other site – http://blog.shorty-stories.com

• 6 Toby // Aug 19, 2008 at 8:36 am

Really? Maybe it’s an american thing, b/c not too many asians wear those labels here. Or maybe I am too old to notice what the youth are wearing now.

• 7 YASPy Chick // Aug 19, 2008 at 9:38 am

Toby, where’s “here”?

• 8 Toby // Aug 19, 2008 at 10:30 am

Oops, Toronto, Markham and surrounding area.

• 9 j // Aug 19, 2008 at 10:50 am

This article is weak. Asians like to dress mainstream? Asians flock to Abercrombie, Hollister, and AE, really? I haven’t seen that. Try Armani Exchange or Bebe. Specifically mentioning these brands does not truly reflect the fact that Asians prefer branded items.

• 10 YASPy Chick // Aug 19, 2008 at 10:59 am

Toby,

I kind of agree. I don’t see as many Asians wearing AE, A&F and Hollister, but many more wear higher end brands. Or, if they don’t buy that, they do JCY (or however you spell it) Then again, I don’t know too many Asians below the age of 25.

• 11 maggie // Aug 19, 2008 at 11:02 am

i dont know…
    a lot of asians around here wear abercrombie, hollister, and ae.
    but hey…were in one of those rich prissy neighborhoods…
    i personally dont find the giant fascination with people and like $25 shirts that you could get for like $15 somewhere else and without the giant billboard of a name across the front.

• 12 Toby // Aug 19, 2008 at 1:25 pm

I think most asians like the higher end designer labels, like LV, Gucci, burberry, and for those who can’t afford the aforementioned, Coach.

A&F, ae and hollister are more california casual (think the OC) and maybe that’s why I haven’t seen a lot of it here in T.O. (and the east coast too?) Asians like to show off labels and their style and a cotton-t and khakis does not do that.

• 13 Eric // Aug 19, 2008 at 2:29 pm

haha i’m in the midwest and i wear those brands… I dunno, I just like the laid back casual look of almost wrecked khaki shorts and t shirts or sometimes a good polo.

I agree asians like name branded stuff. For example, luxury cars and expensive electronics. We’ve had two HDTVs before HD was even mainstream….so we can apparently impress other people.

• 14 Dan` // Aug 22, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Haha this site is pretty funny. If you want some contrast try Howwhitepeoplegethurt.typepad.com. It kind of busts on white people and the lame ways they end up hurting themselves.

• 15 craziforsythia // Aug 26, 2008 at 8:39 pm

most asian teens i know do shop at abercrombie, hollister, american eagle and other trendy laid-back casual prep-ish stores they’re churning up nowadays. But then again, all the trendy teens in my area wear this stuff, and i think the older asians wear more buisiness-casual clothing instead. Personally, i don’t go for the $45-a-polo deal because i can’t afford it. Many shops make smaller “petit” sizes nowadays.

But these brands are apparently all the rage in asia. At least, that’s what my cousin told me last summer when I asked him what he wanted from here. Esp American Eagle because the word “American” is in there…

• 16 SMK // Aug 27, 2008 at 12:54 am

Toby, I will have to disagree with your post about asians liking the high-end stuff. I live near downtown Toronto and lots of asians here do wear Hollister and A&F simply because those stores are more accessible to us down here than say.. Markham. Also it is mainly the HK people who like Gucci, Burberry and the like; lots of those in Markham so I can see where you’re coming from.

• 17 Kathy // Aug 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm

I didnt know that A&F made those t-shirts about asians..whoa! well, I have to say that I quit buying A&F when I learned that it takes 25 cents for them to a polo and they charge like 40 bucks for it.
    oh yeah, their customer service is horrible.

on a side note- o crap, i totally fforgot about those jelly shoes! i use to own one when i was a little girl. I remember them being REALLY uncomfortable.

• 18 hollister california // Sep 5, 2008 at 10:10 am

[...] [...]

• 19 fromthe808 // Sep 8, 2008 at 2:29 pm

im asian, and i think those shirts are funny. people take things too seriously. if you’re one of them, these blogs are NOT for you. if you cant laugh at yourself, you don’t deserve to laugh at others.

• 20 Heather // Sep 19, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Hmm… Well, I only shop at these stores when they have bargains. $30 for a t shirt??? No thanks.

• 21 Nita // Sep 29, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I think it is just the majority of the middle/upper class American teens from the suburbs in general. I mean these stores listed are pretty common.

I personally don’t understand the hype with these stores, the clothes look quite plain and casual.

• 22 lynne // Sep 30, 2008 at 12:34 am

this must be the typical asian american site,cos noone in aus wears those brands here

• 23 noni // Oct 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

my school is like… 43% asian ( REALLY)
    and everyone wears those brands: american eagle hollister abercrombie aeropostale etc etc… i totally agree. its like a symbol of status and wealth.

• 24 Vic // Nov 2, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Asian people, stop wearing these brand. Let’s start wearing Asian brand. These white brand sucks.

• 25 Jen // Nov 7, 2008 at 9:26 am

I wish i could AFFORD hollister/abercrombie stuff.

A&E is great, non-expensive.

Charlotte Russe, H&M, Forever 21–all great stores. Victoria’s Secret is something I can afford every once in a while. But hollister? sure, they have the impressive-looking stores w/ all the beautiful skinny people on display but…

• 26 Rebbecca // Nov 10, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I am not for this at all. I am upset to say i am wealthy thus allowing me to have litterally all of my clothinf from aerie, A.E., A&F,AND Hollister.
    But i am pround to say i will get rid of alot of it,

• 27 Niki // Nov 24, 2008 at 8:11 pm

It depends upon the area you are in. Yes in most areas Asians do wear Hollister, Abercrombie (& Fitch), and American Eagle. At my school, everyone who who is popular wears AE, Hollister, Abercrombie, and the occasional Aero. and most of the kids at my school aren’t even Asian. Also, even with the higher brands like Gucci, Coach, Ann Taylor, etc. most Asian kids and teens do wear Hollister, A&F, and AE. So it goes to show you society these days doesn’t matter what the price is if you want it you’ll get it!

• 28 Vic // Dec 14, 2008 at 3:15 am

This is entry is stupid. I hate all these name brand. It is sad when an Asian or any non-white person, where clothes with white people’s name on them. What the point?

• 29 Danny // Dec 22, 2008 at 2:38 pm

oh wow weird i’m asian and i’m wear some
    Abercrombie right now

• 30 brandon // Dec 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm

i dunno…i’m an asian guy, around 5′ 5″…and I guess my frame or my arms are too short, but everytime i buy a wool short jacket from GAP, or the dress shirts from AE or hollister (evn old navy)

I always feel uncomfortable wearing it because I can’t move my arm all the way up. Cuz it was made for a bigger frame, even when I get a size small at the GAP, the arm length is too long, but tha’ts not the problem, the problem is with the cutting…it was made for someone bigger…can someone HELP!? any suggestions besides getting it tailored haha…

I know when I go to Hong Kong and shop at like bossini or U2 or G2000 (the brands there in hong kong) the cutting is PERFECT, and it doesn’t feel too long or uncomfortable…

Any ideas people? Any suggestions for a guys who can’t buy clothes here?

Another thing is that I have 6 1/2 size feet, and am flat footed and wide foot….it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to buy shoes…i wish i could weat timberland boots but they are too narrow, and so are nike sneakers!

• 31 Chris // Jan 4, 2009 at 1:20 pm

In college it seems like a lot more people go for the higher end stuff like AX, gucci, prada, and D&G. I think more high schoolers wore A&F, AE, aero, and hollister. I dunno, it doesn’t seem any different than what affluent white people liked to wear.

• 32 Phreddie // Jan 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I don’t wear A&F and AE. One time I saw a skinny ugly guy (Asian), geeky, BAD acne, and was wearing those brands. Totally killed it for me. Only hot Asians (with curves and muscles) can wear it. I think Asians who wear those brands are white-washed and preppy wannabes.

• 33 Tmoney // Jan 18, 2009 at 1:30 am

ae, af, hollister

wack.

Personally, the asians I know are into express, armani, d&g, ect

I’m 20 and the kids in my age group (asians) rock hiphop/vintage/tattoo culture/skate gear.

The ones with the prep style tend to be white washed with no sense of style because they try so hard to assimilate themselves to someone they have no history to.

Not to mention regardless of who wears the prep brands, they look damn near retarded.

Just my two cents.

• 34 HMM // Jan 31, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I in fact don’t shop at any of the mall-chain stores, not because I’m spoiled or anything, but because I want the original look and don’t want to put money in “the man”‘s pocket. I personally think the Abercrombie, Hollister, and AE clothes lack originality and are overpriced. Sure, you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in, but I don’t understand why people wear them when billions of other people across the States would be wearing it. Stop the stereotype. This “stuff (race) people likes” trend which was started by people who thought stereotyping people according to their race was funny and would bring them money, is getting pathetic. I do not agree with most of the stuffs that Asians were “supposed to like.”

• 35 W // Apr 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm

In where I live (NYC), a lot of the Asian kids wear this! Almost everyday they wear something from these brands! It’s so annoying…..it’s like these Asians are becoming Americanized with this type of trash just to fit or to look cool. And the clothes don’t even look that good…or appeal to me at all.

• 36 BCH // Jun 21, 2009 at 9:36 am

Would someone be so kind to provide the stats? (For example, the percentage of asians in the US who would go for these brands.) Otherwise, it is preposterous and not scientific (which is so common nowadays) to jump to a conclusion as such with \Through first-hand experience\. You prove your own theory, not the other way around.

• 37 Tiffany // Jun 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm

when this article means by “asian”, they actually meant CHINESE. Chinese are just wannabees. these are the only clothes they could actually wear because when they actually do wear them, they think it makes them cool and make pplz like them ex: ugly chinese boys/girls wearin these clothes so they can be cool. im half chinese(not really) and i don’t even like wearin these clothes . i whether be myself and wear my own style, whether tthan like the stupid and idiotic chinese. o the first day they come into skool and dress ordinarily and normal, the next day they come into skool and start wearing these clothes and wearing stupid colone/perfume. the boys think they can get girls like this. but they can’t. EXCEPT FOR UGLY CHINESE GIRLS. even the chinese boys are still ugly themselves. STUPID CHING CHONG CHINAMEN!!!why can’t they be themselves gosh (not tryin 2 be mean or anything, but is totally true )

• 38 This is Boring. // Jul 1, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Why do you guys care so much about what others wear? All I see here are meaningless comments. If you don’t like the brand, then don’t wear it. Simple as that. Deragotory remarks are not necessary. They just show how bitchy you are.

• 39 chinese&korean131 // Sep 4, 2009 at 2:45 am

@Tiffany: shut the fuck up. this blog probably applies mostly to east asians than south asians but still… not only chinese.
    you dont know what youre talking about because in actuality, its the Korean teens who wear abercrombie and sadly sometimes 40 yearold moms.

• 40 collegeasian // Sep 8, 2009 at 9:55 am

i dont know what all the commotion going on here. but if you live in some rural place or suburbs, there isnt really much choice when it comes to clothes, because rarely are there the top of the line fashion stores in the mall. so your pretty much stuck wearing whatever it is available. plus whats all the hate with wearing ae or hollister, (dont mention abercrombie) it not bad and fits pretty well.

• 41 got-rice // Oct 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm

the thing about asians, once one of us wears it, the rest of us follow. I own maybe one or two garments of AE and Abercrombie, but I got them for the value, rather than the brand. I think the trend now with the Asian American youth are the street brands (whatever seen on Hypebeast) like Stussy, Supreme, Hundreds, etc.

• 42 james // Jan 28, 2010 at 4:38 pm

i’m a manager at a hollister, so i’ll give you some insight on what i’ve seen, as a white 24 year old male.

the asians that work at our store are excellent workers and have some of the best folding techniques, positive attitudes, and are generally, very nice people.

however, the clientele of asian people ranging from ages 25 and up are not the same. they tend to be very pushy, rude, messy, and like to try on multiple items. i feel bad, because i am not a racist person at all, but even the asians that work for me sigh when fellow asians come into our store. it usually means that we’re going to have some cleaning up to do, lol. like i said, it’s generally the older crowd who try and bargain with us, and dishevel stacks of close like it’s a treasure hunt for money. annoying and infuriating at times, especially when they come in 15 minutes prior to closing.

so, my point besides their bad shopping habits is that most asians i see, DO wear hollister and enjoy the clothing very much. we have at least 5 applicants every tuesday and friday when we interview and they typically already have the clothes and the look for hollister.

so, i agree with this generalization from what i’ve seen. this doesnt bother me it all – it’s the shopping habits! anyone wanna comment on this?

• 43 Who Cares? // Mar 21, 2010 at 3:49 am

@This is Boring., Amen to that! You are so right; why do people even care what others wear? I don’t give a shit on whether people wear Abercrombie, LV, or Walmart! Give me a break, seriously, why are people getting so heated up on this anyway?

• 44 People these days... (*shakes finger*) // Mar 21, 2010 at 3:51 am

@Tiffany, you are either a troll (and a bad one, at that), or a very stupid person. Actually, either way, you’re very stupid.

• 45 ThisAzn // Aug 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm

lol i have some AF,Hollister, and AE….but nothing beats Rock and Republic for me! they have the best jeans!!

• 46 Liz // Aug 22, 2010 at 9:43 pm

@fromthe808, I don’t know… maybe I can ask a black teen if he/she thinks it funny if they make a shirt with those black faced cartoon faces from the 1800′s, you know, the one with bulging eyes and giant swollen lips. go look up it up in a history book idiot.

• 47 whatever, someone has issues // Aug 22, 2010 at 9:47 pm

@Tiffany, half chinese (psst… but not really) lol

• 48 sgman // Sep 12, 2010 at 11:53 am

I wear them because they look pretty good and they’re inexpensive. Lol totally opposite to what this article is saying.

Except for A&F, which is ridiculously overpriced, the other brands like Ae, Hollister and Aeropostale are all quite affordable.

• 49 sgman // Sep 12, 2010 at 11:58 am

@james,

I don’t see what the problem is with trying on multiple shirts. I come from a big, modern city, with a lot of big malls and stores. People try on multiple items of clothing at stores. They might end up buying 1/4 things they try, if you’re lucky, or probably none at all.

Its speaks more of a bad attitude on the part of the staff than it does of customers when you can’t even be bothered to fold up a few shirts.

Maybe you shouldn’t be working at a clothing store if you find it so tedious.

• 50 sgman // Sep 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm

@Tiffany,

There are some butt ugly Koreans and Japanese, if what you’re trying to say is that they’re somehow better looking.

On average, I find more Chinese girls attractive than Japanese or Koreans. Japanese tend to have horrid teeth, and are quite short and stout. Koreans are big boned, and have your stereotypical small eyes.

• 51 nuts // Oct 21, 2010 at 8:20 am

The A&F T-shirts look kind of simple/tasteless. Won’t mention the price.

• 52 HotGuy // Nov 26, 2010 at 2:23 am

@Liz,
    Shut the eff up. Why not boycott this site then, because this is stereotyping what Asian people like. It’s just a shirt punk.

• 53 Abercrombie & Fitch brings guns to bear on cybersquatters « The Legal Satyricon // Dec 14, 2010 at 8:55 am

[...] & Fitch was going about its business, selling clothes modeled by white people and beloved by Asians. Then, some unscrupulous cybersquatters started infringing on A&F’s intellectual property [...]

• 54 juicy couture // Jan 16, 2011 at 8:15 pm

@Eric,
    I think it is rather easy to see from the other comments as well that this post is well written and useful.

• 55 links london // Mar 21, 2011 at 1:30 am

Good to hear that you are back to blogging. I am looking forward to some good article.

• 56 Anonymous // Aug 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

There are PLENTY of people who walk into these stores during Holiday sales that are “trying on clothes left and right. ” Asians are not the only one.

@Tiffany – GROW UP !
    It’s ignorant people like you who degrade America.

• 57 Kathie // Oct 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

I do admit, lot of my asian friends /non asian friends wear abercrombie. I happen to have a lot of them but I just find it comfortable. I really dont like shopping so my mom does the work and suddenly, went to abercrombie 4 bout 2 years now?

• 58 Um // Dec 21, 2011 at 11:09 pm

@sgman: that’s not true; most Koreans don’t have tiny eyes and thick bones. Everybody should stop assuming when they aren’t Asian. Lots of people would find this whole discussion offensive

• 59 Mr. Duby // Apr 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

My wardrobe is filled with these brands. I protested against my parents whenever they would get these for me. I would rather wear clothes without any logo, but my mom says I look like an old person if I don’t have logos on my clothes. I don’t understand her logic.