#86 Not Having Pets

Posted August 2nd, 2008 by Peter · 20 Comments

This is the last post in Korean Moms Week. I hope you all enjoyed the wonderful insight Chiyo has given to the lives of Asian Moms everywhere.

Korean Moms hate pets, or so they say. Even if a Korean Mom currently allows for a family pet (a dog, bird, or hamster), at some point she rejected and abhorred the idea. Korean Moms feel that pets are dirty, and if anything, they do not belong in the home. In addition, raising an animal indoors will cause the home to reek like $%!@ (poop)… even more than when they cook dwen-jang-jji-gae.

They are also mortally afraid of pet fur. Pet fur, to a Korean Mom, is like what water was to the Wicked Witch in Oz. If you are ever fortunate enough to get your Korean Mom to yield to your pet-longing, she will then proceed to force your puppy, hamster, or whatever, to live outside. It doesn’t matter if it’s 10 degrees outside, your dog will be tied to a pole in the backyard treading a 5 foot radius at all times. Cats? Don’t even think about it. Cats are despised above all creatures to the Korean Mom. They are the spawn of the Devil (yes, there’s history behind this).

The Korean Mom may make an exception for a small dog. Something tiny, fluffy, yappy, brainless, and insane, basically a genetically mutated animal which they will name something ridiculous like “Mandoo” or “eepooni“, or some messed up name like that. This creature will then become the most beloved being in the home. It will not even have to eat dog food, it will consume Korean food.

Beware: if you plan on buttering up your Korean Mom, or compromising with her by getting one of these glorified breathing teddy bears, you must accept the fact that you will then proceed to become a second class citizen in your own home. “Eepooni” will be hugged, loved, kissed, and fed more than you. Your Korean Mom will even pick up “Eepooni’s” shit. She will make you pick up your own.

I once wanted to adopt a puppy, so after much begging my mom took me to the Humane Society. After seeing and smelling the place, she then proceeded to cry on the bench by the entrance, beating her chest and saying that she wanted to die (see #3 ). We eventually got a dog, and no, she didn’t in fact, die.

Tags: Activities · Animals · Culture · Environment · Habits · Hobbies · Korean · People · Pets · Products · Relationships

• 1 Anonymous // Aug 3, 2008 at 8:27 pm

LOL. this is totally up-my-alley. I’ve wanted a dog ever since I was 6.. and now im 18.. still no dog. =[ damn Koreans!!

• 2 Jess // Aug 5, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Yes! This finally explains my pet-deprived childhood, but I somehow still love my pet-hating Asian mom.

• 3 chairman mao // Aug 7, 2008 at 6:12 am

Maybe Korean moms are afraid that they will give in to temptation and cook the dog for food? I know that would happen in the Phillipines…

• 4 flipp' kidd. // Aug 10, 2008 at 7:12 pm

ohh. that explains my pet-less childhood. [it's all coming back to me now.]

• 5 Park // Sep 8, 2008 at 11:53 am

Not true. The Asians were the ones to domesticate dogs. The Egyptians domesticated the cat. Asians love dogs, and only some eat them.

• 6 Park // Sep 8, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Also, this is not what Korean people like but stuff Asian people like. Also, as gross as it sounds that Asians eat dogs, far more dogs are killed in America for being unwanted than eaten in Asia. I think it’s more inhumane to euthanize so many dogs. Plus we all eat pigs which are pretty smart animals too, and if you eat hot dogs, you eat sorts of pig parts including their reproductive organs.

• 7 Pizzaman // Oct 2, 2008 at 10:48 am

Eh, we love pets, we got 3 dogs, but then again we’re chinese.

• 8 KiNGKONG // Oct 7, 2008 at 8:07 am

wuh chu talkin about flee, my mama got 7 dogs you feel me 5 little ones and 2 big ass jin dok gae YAEYUH

• 9 kris // Nov 23, 2008 at 12:04 am

I swear Chinese people have chicken legs. Filipinos would have chinese people pick up their pet poop. With a billion chinese people in the world, they are disposable! And a penny for a hundred ;)

• 10 CrystalMountainWashington // Mar 24, 2009 at 2:50 pm

this is only for Koreans or the other moms also have this issue with pets?

• 11 liv // Nov 14, 2009 at 4:45 pm

LOL.
    My mother is chinese, but her mentality toward pets is exactly like how you described. They must stay outside, they’ll make the house smell like crap, etc etc. :D

• 12 wuju // Sep 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Chinese moms are the same way T-T

• 13 RFID // Sep 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I once went to look at renting a basement suite whose owners (lived upstairs) were Korean. Everything was going well til I mentioned I had a cat. I don’t think mama said another word to me after that, got all icy about it and left the room, let her daughter do all the talking. I didn’t get the place.

I did rent a suite a few years later from a Vietnamese family who had no such issues, til our cats started crapping in their garden. Which is probably universal!

• 14 Natalia // Mar 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Whoa….wtf? Did a Chinese girl break the truth to you about your small dick or something?

• 15 China Manufacturer // Mar 15, 2011 at 6:28 am

i have dog now . my parents treat him as one a member of our family and i like it very much.but we never mention to cook him…so just some people do this.

• 16 Libstew // Mar 1, 2015 at 12:07 pm

So maybe they are dirty to an extent. Nobody ever died after cleaning up after one of them so far as I know. In the U.S. there are strict laws about vaccinating, especially if you live in city limits, neighborhoods, apartment communities, etc. Some apartment communities allow pets, some do not. Mine does, and I paid the pet deposits, nonrefundable. Yet i have an Asian man who complains about my cat. Says he can hear her running on the carpenting at night.. . Sound like he scared of her. Many, Many Americans consider domestic animals part of our families. If you are going to complain more than you contribute to our society,,,, move to a place that does not allow pets… or you could make your way back across the ocean… I doubt many people will miss you.

• 17 ilovehorseyrides // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Asians don’t like pets because

1) it’s expensive
    2) 1 more mouth to feed
    3) they never know if they attack

They only own them if they want the pet to have a job (eg. Watchdog) or of they’re cooking it for dinner

• 18 ilovehorseyrides // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:30 pm

My sister and I are animal lovers, unlike my parents. My sister wants a dog, and I want a horse. My parents say “you want pets, you move out of house”

• 19 ilovehorseyrides // Sep 26, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Asians also don’t like pets because they poop and pee everywhere and it stinks up the house

• 20 ilovehorseyrides // Sep 26, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Asians also don’t like pets because they are afraid that the animals will pee and poop everywhere, which stinks up the house