Feature: What Type of Asian Are You?

Posted May 27th, 2008 by Peter · 87 Comments

Mr. Gary Lee has a fascinating post for Asians and those close to Asians. I came across this one while researching why Asians are so darn into techno and rave. Any suggestions are welcome.

Young Asians in America come in many forms. Below are the major categories. Most Asians fit into multiple groups. For example, Rice-boys can also be Fobs and many Tabs are Fobulous. The only groups that are never part of another group are the Twinkies and the Asian-Americans. Claim your Fobbiness! When you see your Asian friend, greet them with ‘Wassup Fob!” And if your Asian friend says something ridiculous, say ‘Fob please!” Of course, when a non-Asian calls you a Fob, that is grounds for a fight. Ahahaha”¦ The categories below are to be taken lightheartedly. Read, recognize and laugh.

Twinkie

- Besides your nationality, there is little to distinguish you from white people
- Your significant other is not Asian and never has been
- You have few Asian friends, if any
- You are embarrassed at family events because you cannot speak your language and everyone has to switch to English to communicate with you
- You have no idea that the other types of Asians on this list even exist
- You think Hello Kitty is dumb and do not know what Sanrio is
- You are the only Asian on this list that does not know what Bubble Tea is
- You drive a Ford or some other domestic car and if you drive a Honda, it is stock

Asian-American

- You claim yourself as Asian, but real Asians think you’re whitewashed and non-Asians see you as a foreigner. You fit in nowhere
- You have heard of Bubble Tea but have never actually had any
- You are confused about your cultural identity and express this frustration through spoken word performances at your college
- You read A. magazine and think it’s great
- You do not know who Edison, Jay Chou, Ayu, or G.O.D. are
- You are only vaguely aware of the other Asians below

Yap (Young Asian Professional)
- You are in one of these professions:
a) Medicine / Pharmaceutical
b) Engineering
c) Finance
d) Investment Banking
e) Accounting
- Most of your wardrobe was purchased at Banana Republic
- You go to ‘mixers” on Thursday nights to meet other Yaps and talk about the Dow Jones.
- You did exactly what your parents wanted you to do and as a result, your life is hella boring
- Your apartment/home is decorated almost exclusively with stuff from Pier 1
- Your parents always talk to their friends about how much money you make. If they don’t, then you’re a dissapointment

Fob (Fresh Off tha Boat)

- You were not born in America
- You know who Edison, Jay Chou, Ayu, or G.O.D. are. In fact, you have seen them at Atlantic City or Las Vegas recently
- You speak your native language fluently and so do all your friends
- You do not have any non-Asian friends
- Your parents do not speak any English
- When you speak English, you like to make everything plural
- You get extremely good grades in school
- You cannot dance
- Your fashion sense comes from whatever country you’re from and you incorporate nothing from American fashion into your wardrobe

SuperFob
- Your command of the English language is minimal and you don’t care
- You like dim sum chicken feet
- You do not own a single CD, VCD, Video game, or DVD that isn’t bootlegged
- Your only hangout is Chinatown
- All the lights in your house are fluorescent
- You dry your cloths outside your window
- You need a haircut
- You either smell like cigarettes or food

Fobabee
- You are an Asian-American or Twinkie who has recently ‘awoken”
- You have a newly found fetish of Asian girls/boys
- You have taken the Asian Studies course at college
- You are trying to learn as much as possible about your culture to make up for your lifetime of trying to be white (Twinkie ; Banana) or Black (Chigger ; Tea egg)
- If you are lucky, you will grow to become Fobulous

Gangsta Fob (Fobsta)
- You have shot another Asian
- Your favorite hangout is a pool hall
- When you talk, you sound like a cross between a Fob and an urban black kid
- Your hair looks silly, but no one will tell you because you’ll shoot them
- You have a serious gambling problem
- You are a Rice-boy, but your mods are cheap and are never painted to match the rest of your car
- No one tells you your rice ride looks cheap because you’ll shoot them
- You want to have a Tab girlfriend, but can only get Hoochie Tabs

Tab (Trendy Asian B*tch)
- You shop at A/X, Bebe and Club Monaco
- You only wear black and will occasionally wear white to ‘mix it up”
- You do not weigh more than 105 lbs
- You have never paid for dinner at a restaurant in your life
- Platform heels are your favorite
- You are a makeup expert, in fact, you appear completely flawless
- You do not smile in public
- You are the object of desire of all Asian men and you know it
- You smoke
- Your cell phone is completely customized
- Somewhere in your purse is a Sanrio item
- You only date Asian and will only date a boy with a nice car
- You are often seen with Rice-boys
- You never travel alone. You are either in the company of other Tabs or your Rice-boy boyfriend

Hoochie Tab
- You are an import car model
- Your boobs are not real
- There are naked pictures of you floating around on the internet somewhere
- Clear heels are your favorite
- Your role models are Tila Nguyen and Kaila Yu
- Your boyfriend is a Gangsta Fob
- You cheat on your boyfriend
- Unlike most Asians, you do not do well in school

Rice-Boy

- You drive an Asian import. Usually a Honda or Acura
- Your souped up car (known as a Rice-ride or Rice-rocket) is unrecognizable from it’s original stock form
- Your exhaust pipe is big enough for your head to fit in
- The spoiler on your car looks like it was made by Boeing
- The interior of your car also looks like it was designed by Boeing
- You always drive like you are racing someone
- You are not afraid of dying in a crash, but you are afraid of speed bumps and parking lot on-ramps
- The only other person besides yourself who can sit in your car is your 105 lbs Tab girlfriend. If anyone else sits in your car, the entire bottom of it will be touching the ground
- Even though your car is a Honda, it goes faster and is worth more than a Lotus Esprit

Fobulous

- You speak perfect English and you are fluent in your native language
- You have Asian friends as well as non-Asian friends
- You listen to Asian pop as well as American music
- You are equally aware of both popular American culture and Asian pop culture
- You are a good dancer
- You date Asian by choice even though you could rock the opposite sex of any other race
- You are a good designer and have superior Html skills (for that fly MySpace / Xanga page)
- For you, FOB stands for Fabulous Oriental Being
- You have lots of Asian pride

So here’s the question: What Type of Asian are You?

You can find the original post here: http://www.mrgarylee.com/my-most-asian-post-ever/

Tags: Activities · Culture · Films and Movies · History · Hobbies · Martial Arts · Music · People · Social · Superstition

• 1 FA // May 27, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Mhm…. I’m disappointed I don’t fit into any of these categories you have delineated…. I have always called myself an Asian-American. But actually, Bubble Tea is what I drink and G.O.D rocks my socks and what’s A. magazine?? The only thing is I DO feel that I don’t fit in either world sometimes… most times.

• 2 hrhkat // May 27, 2008 at 8:08 pm

All of the Asian girls I knew in highschool were TABs, except for one which I think is a YAP right now. Although, the TABs at my school only dated white guys, and occasionally black guys, because all the Asian guys were YAPs in training, or FOBs. Now, when I go out I only see TABs,Twinkies, and Fobulous, the FOBs dont go out because they are working, and the YAPS only go places that their coworkers go, or the Apple store.

What about FOBs who come here to marry white people and try to leave their Asian past behind? You know, they are usually very smart, and picked up english rather quickly, but have no intention of ever going back, they dress as American as they can, but are not nearly as Twinkie. That is the kind of person that my cousin dates.

• 3 kim // May 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm

i don’t fit into any of these =(
    i think they’re too narrow

• 4 YASPy Chick // May 28, 2008 at 5:36 am

I think I’m a Twinkie-YAP…sorta, anyway. What do you call an Asian person who is kind of Twinkie/Banana who is a writer and goes to mixers that are predominantly white?

• 5 YvesPaul // May 28, 2008 at 9:24 am

Scored 3/6 for YAP and 6/9 for Fobulous… Very funny post though, thanks.

• 6 Jlau // May 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

“Fobulous” sounds OK as a description, but I like the term “Fobilicious” more. What do you tink? Oops, my fob came out. I meant think.

• 7 Anonymous // May 28, 2008 at 7:32 pm

lmao…
    i think i’m fobulous…
    as in, I don’t fit in with any of the other categories…

• 8 Kevin // May 28, 2008 at 9:10 pm

I fit into Fobulous…However I drive an asian import, but it is stock…I like chicken feet…I dry my clothes outside on the patio and I use fluorescent lights and I need a haircut now plus I work so I smell like food and I like to go to cigar bars and other bars so I smell like smoke….I get very good grades…I like this “super asian pride”, in fact I don’t like hanging out with many asian people…I am a pr0fessional, studying law…my parents talk a lot about me regardless…I am an Asian-American, but I love bubble tea… I do have few asian friends and Sanrio is usually whack… I fit in a lot of categories =/

• 9 YASPy Chick // May 29, 2008 at 6:57 am

Are Asian guys with designer manbags still riceboys or are they male TABs? I have seen several guys with Gucci or LV manbags in and around Toronto.

I’m pretty sure these guys are straight. Some are foreign students, some FOBs and yes, some are actually “from here.”

*NOTE: These “man bags” are usually MAN BAGS and not laptop bags or briefcases*

• 10 rear admiral muggles // Jun 2, 2008 at 7:57 pm

The fact that people are out there that do not know the joy of bubble tea or boba tea (YES they are different!) is very depressing. I LOVE Boba tea.

Also sad is that I know more about certain Asian popular cultures, customs, and food than most “Asian Americans” I know. And I’m not Asian. No I am not an egg or anything, I just read a lot. And love Far Eastern foods, and music (the pop, techno, and traditional.)

• 11 Stephen // Jun 3, 2008 at 1:46 am

I’m laughing so hard I’m crying because all of this is SO DAMN TRUE!
    I’m a new fobabee – trying to get in touch with my Japanese-American roots!
    AH! I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!

• 12 can tabs // Jun 3, 2008 at 2:33 am

[...] many tabs are Fobulous. The only groups that are never part of another group are the Twinkies andhttp://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/2008/05/27/feature-what-type-of-asian-are-you/Virginia man collects 13 million can tabs for kidney dialysisHARRISONBURG, Va. ABP — Bryan Acker is [...]

• 13 davidleong // Jun 4, 2008 at 2:41 pm

[...] distraction maybe i’m just tired from finishing up the quarter at spu, but i came across this blog post and couldn’t stop laughing at the fobsta and rice-boy descriptions. granted, stuff asian [...]

• 14 jen // Jun 6, 2008 at 1:11 am

HAHA, good stuff. i dont fit in anywhere bc im white and asian. SO, i guess i am a full blown twinky. im half asian, but i have eyelids! how cool is that ….lol.

• 15 Toby // Jun 6, 2008 at 9:11 am

If you haven’t read it or heard about this book already, I recommend reading Banana Boys by Terry Woo. It’s Canadian, but I’m curious if the experiences are the same for Americans. think it probably is. The book later became a play here in Toronto. Here’s a brief synopsis:

In his first novel, Terry presents a circle of friends unique in Canadian fiction: a contemporary group of young, educated, largely middle-class Chinese-Canadian men. Juk Sing. Banana Boys. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

The four have come together to pay their last respects to Rick, the fifth, and slightly aloof, member of the group of friends. Rick was a driven, fast-rising management consultant, who, it seemed, was able to totally reinvent himself. On the surface, Rick appeared to have it all, yet he was found dead in his living room, apparently having committed suicide.

The funeral provides the starting point for the stories of the intertwined lives of a group caught in cultural and social limbo. Not quite Canadian, and certainly not Chinese, the Banana Boys stumble through the incidents of everyday life-their interactions with family, girlfriends, objects of desire, co-workers, and each other-always conscious of the divide between their Chinese roots and the mainstream of Canadian society. Banana Boys explores the nature of identity, and, through the hopes and dreams of the group of friends, ultimately reveals the possibilities each man holds within himself.

Peppered with piercing insights and laced with comic anecdotes, Banana Boys provides unforgettable texture to the ordinary – and extraordinary – tribulations of being twentysomething, male, and Asian in Canada.

• 16 35 // Jun 6, 2008 at 10:19 am

wa-kaou, I read all the way to the end and finally found me!

• 17 solong // Jun 7, 2008 at 11:26 am

hahaha its this list! i’m fobulous, duh!

gangsta fobs… so many of them >_<

• 18 XD asian // Jun 13, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Fobabee for sure!
    Getting in touch with my Big Bang, Arashi, and Fahrenheit.
    I’ll be so fobulous someday!

• 19 Dulce // Jun 18, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Fobulousss for sureee! lollzz
    this post is sooo accurate! :D

• 20 Ray // Jun 23, 2008 at 5:02 am

got a category for potty mouthed blue-collared asian? one who get’s pissed off if any asian national team looses to teams from the other continents in whatever sport. Turks can be considered a form of asian. So let’s hope the Turks tear up Euro 08. Go you fcking Turk bastards! EURO 2008 fTW!

I don’t fall into any of this crap. I think i’m in the wrong website. this must be for dipshit americans who have never been to another country except through a tour or some sort of college class retreat bullshit.

• 21 Dave // Jul 2, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Now you just need to add categories for whities with Asian characteristics/fondness. The Japanese anime geeks, those with an asian fetish, the history major who only knows about culture in China pre-Ming dynasty, the poorly readjusted ESL teacher back from teaching abroad and now knows everything about “Asia”… Are there names for these people?

• 22 Yolanda // Jul 5, 2008 at 12:17 am

OMG, I totally fit the twinkie. I know I don’t socialise myself with the asian culture, its just so weird for me. I live in Australia and I was rasied beign called an Australian. If my parents wanted me to be classifed as an Asian, then they wouldn’t have left the Asian continent. I have minimal Asian friends and I’m only really aware of my category and NEVER will I date an Asian or marry, I will never in my life be attracted to one they are turn off (BIG TIME!!!). I’m born and bred Aussie and I will remain that way.

• 23 gian // Jul 6, 2008 at 6:41 pm

FOBulous! Ahah. Born in the U.S., but ESL for three years. I drive an import and it’s a track car so it’s not stock…and yes it’s faster/handles better than a Lotus, but does not cost more than it. I also like the black/white theme as I play tennis and coach too. My hair is dyed brown, I’m in the medical field, and I listen to Asian music and play it constantly(currently playing Big Bang…no I’m not Korean). lol, I’m a mix of everything, but Fobulous has everything categorically.

• 24 Nick // Jul 15, 2008 at 12:32 am

I listen to Polvo, eat burritos all the time, shop at…my closet, because they just don’t make double-entedres on Chinglish shirts like they used to, um, I drive a $70 48cc motorcycle, and I watch Kevin Smith movies all the time? And I speak Mandarin like, fluently and stuff, and like, I’m white, and I only like the really bloody anime…I play Morrowind a lot…

WHAT AM I?

• 25 knguyen // Jul 16, 2008 at 9:27 am

I don’t know. Amerasian. Born and raised in US. Speak Vietnamese and English fluently. Don’t look white, don’t look Vietnamese. As usual, where do I fit in the mix?

• 26 Kae // Jul 18, 2008 at 8:29 am

FObulous slash yap but like I love my asian roots but like tooo fob pisses me off

• 27 Angela // Jul 26, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I’m a fobabee. I blame Asian dramas, they’re so addictive… CAN’T STOP WATCHING…

• 28 Sol // Jul 27, 2008 at 4:49 am

Haha, I’m a Fobulous! Eventhough one or two of the criterias don’t apply, like dancing for example. I hate dancing!

• 29 Fu // Jul 30, 2008 at 5:57 pm

I’m a cross between Twinkie and Asian American…but I love bubble tea.

• 30 laurenn // Jul 31, 2008 at 11:29 am

im somehow both a Fob and Fobulous.
    haha, this is funny.

• 31 laurenn // Jul 31, 2008 at 11:30 am

oh and a Fobabee.

• 32 Gary Lee // Aug 28, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I just wanted to say that I posted that post from an email I got and it really is for fun . . . . those people who are emailing me thinking I hate asian people or something . . . . get a sense of humor please :)

• 33 Kathy // Aug 30, 2008 at 12:14 am

o gosh that was hilarious.

• 34 Suchi // Sep 6, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I am a tab/fobabee dating a gangasta fob

• 35 Nhi // Sep 19, 2008 at 5:32 am

w00t. =}
    I’m fobulous. lol.

=^_^=

• 36 Heather // Sep 19, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Fobulous here. : D

• 37 Nita // Sep 29, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I guess Fobulous narrows down to being a satisfied asian person? I guess that is me then. I know I can be a good web designer if I wanted to, just too lazy for it. lol.

The only thing is…I’m not a big fan on Asian ‘Pop’, more like asian classics. XD

• 38 Shaun // Sep 29, 2008 at 11:38 pm

It’s not a perfect fit, but I guess I’m either Twinkie or Asian-American (except sub out American for Australian) with a hint of Fobulous… oh who am I kidding, I wish I was fobulous…

• 39 kc // Nov 1, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Fobulous baby~!! gosh, why did it hav to be the last one.. had to read all that -_-

• 40 asp125 // Nov 11, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Mostly Twinkie / Banana and YAP by profession. But I do know a japanese-american who’s into J-pop and video games, does that count? Oh and I have heard of bubble tea. I don’t fit in!!

• 41 viviann :/ of // Nov 15, 2008 at 1:09 am

yeah i’ve got an ‘asian’ name.
    but it’s kinda black.
    i’m HALF asian.
    i don’t seem to fit in any of these ridiculous forms;
    i can’t speak chinese or taiwanese, i was born in texas, i know what bubble tea, what the hell’s G.O.D., i’m not religious, everyone has to translate for me, and i’m okay at matching clothes, and my makeup’s always in a rush.

• 42 viviann :/ of // Nov 15, 2008 at 1:11 am

oh and i do NOT date asians
    D:
    they’re…igh, just, NO.

• 43 gina // Nov 15, 2008 at 3:02 pm

You forgot to include lawyer in the YAP category.

• 44 beasian // Nov 30, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Im closest to fobulous but theyd make a new class for me beasain

beast asain
    -your good at everything
    -asain
    -white
    -gangsta
    -etc

• 45 How // Dec 28, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I have never realised there were so many types!

• 46 JJ // Jan 1, 2009 at 10:57 am

these are very interesting category’s indeed…..ummm…..i think the Fobulous catagory fits me, it sounds like the typical second generation asians.

• 47 Han Thi Ngoc Tang // Jan 2, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Apparently I am Fobulous since I apply to everything listed there.

I Love Jay Chou! He is amazing. And also many varieties of Asian Music. Such as Kanjani8, Janne Da Arc, Utada Hikaru, YUI, Rie Fu (Japan), Show Luo, Ruby Lin (China), Kim Jong Kook, Kim Ah Joong, Jini (Korea), Trish Thuy Trang, Pham Quynh Anh, Ong Cao Thang (Vietnam) to name a few.

I am three-eighths Chinese (father is half and mother a fourth) and the rest Vietnamese.

Even though I have alot of Azn Pride, I don’t think that putting us into sub-catergories like that is right, and I’m not sure if it could be accurate.

• 48 CL // Jan 19, 2009 at 1:08 am

I’m 95% chinese and couldn’t find myself in any of these categories. I have never dated an East Asian guy, but am attracted to non-white men ( South Asian, Hispanic, Black) and find them exotic. I was born in China, but immigrated to the US at age 4. My Chinese is very bad, but I have a strong interest in Asian Culture and lived in Asia for a few years to learn the language and the culture. I love bubble tea and Hello Kitty. I am 5% German, but look about 25% (my whole family looks 100% asian, so this is a fluke and I consider myself fully chinese. I don’t believe in designer cars. I studied art and now make a great living from it. I create asian inspired art. I am very critical of many aspects of Asian culture and come across as being very Western.
    Here’s my question: Why do Asian people here in the US call me a white-wash sell out? I’m not even interested in White Men and my friends are all racially mixed.

• 49 Kvietgrl // Jan 19, 2009 at 10:11 am

hi cl, i think people are always trying to find ways to feel better about themselves and calling others sell outs is one way. you know yourself best and i would advise you to not mind what they’re saying because that’s ultimately not important.

people judge/belittle others all the time just based on what they see. hope this helps! feel free to ask any other questions. =)

• 50 Anon // Jan 20, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I’m first generation born, and I am equally informed in Western (American)/Asian (Korean) pop culture.
    I can speak both languages fluently, although I prefer English because my Korean vocabulary needs a bit of brushing up.
    Ahahah I’m fobulous for now but I’m going to become a YAP soon.

This sucks.

• 51 Sanpincha // Jan 24, 2009 at 10:59 pm

somewhere between a FOB, a TAB and Fobulous.

• 52 HMM // Jan 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Let’s see…I wasn’t born in the US but in Canada, but I came to the US when I was pretty young. I speak decent Korean, not perfectly but I still could pass as a FOB if I wanted to. I don’t listen to any Asian music, in fact I do not know any Asian bands you guys are talking about. Ayu? Big Bang? Huh?I do not know WTF bubble tea(tea that bubbles, I guess?), A. magazine(does the A stand for Asian American or something), and Sanrio(now that sounds Korean. I didn’t know that there were any Korean mall-chain stores in the US) is. I used to shop at A/X but not anymore b/c of some personal reasons…I don’t want to support any more corps. I’m not good in math or any academic subject in that matter. I’m in a rock band and my boyfriend’s an Eurasian(White+Asian mixed).
    btw, what’s a HTML? Is that some Asian slang I don’t know? Urrgh. Maybe I fit into that Twinky category but I wasn’t born in the US. I’m confused.

• 53 O.o // Mar 25, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Nice catagorizing…I fit into a lot of these. Depending where I am, I’m a mix between a FOB…and a YAP. Weird, eh? I don’t see why Asians can just be identified as Asians…no cats…

• 54 eh em!!! // Mar 25, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Wow…I didn’t know we had all these catagories…by the way, that picture of Bi is HAWT!

• 55 Chigga // Mar 25, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Idk about this but idk if i fit into any of this sh*t. lol
    The majority of my friends are equally distributed between blacks hispanics and whites. not to many asians but when i get the chance to see one i’ll check him out(no-homo) im a guy and im half south korean half white. born and raised in chicago im kinda dark skinned (dark golden color) and i wear tight jeans mostly stud belts fitted shirts, skateboard, and play in a rock band. not to be conceded but ive always been popular and i didnt really get that many girls but ive had a few. sex twice and play freshmen football. oh yea. i got semi-long hair. what category is that? check me back chiggas

—-CarKeys—

• 56 Chigga // Mar 25, 2009 at 8:22 pm

oh yeah and if this helps i play xbox live and errr i dont know wut all that hype about bubble tea is. and i got a D average in all my classes(hopefully going up cross your fingers for me)
    lata

• 57 Mou // Mar 28, 2009 at 7:32 pm

LOL, I am Fobulous
    I am asian btw, and i date anyone. :D :D:D

• 58 huyieh // Apr 5, 2009 at 3:46 am

mix of fobsta and fobulous.

• 59 Anonymous // Apr 12, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I would like to make a quiz on this very interesting infact lols

• 60 x.peach.baby.x // May 7, 2009 at 5:45 am

lol… i think i’m a mix between a TAB and a Fobulous… xD cause i’m not a slut but yes i am all these things:

- You shop at A/X, Bebe and Club Monaco
    - You do not weigh more than 105 lbs (but only cause i’m short,, hehe~
    - Platform heels are your favorite
    - You are a makeup expert, in fact, you appear completely flawless
    - Your cell phone is completely customized
    - Somewhere in your purse is a Sanrio item
    - You only date Asian and will only date a boy with a nice car
    - You never travel alone.

=.=” lol its a good article,, very funny xD

• 61 Johno Chong // Jun 7, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Well, how do I fit in? I dress like an Aussie, Speak like an Aussie, Eat Like an Aussie, Drink like an Aussie, pretty much LIVE like an Aussie, yet I’m a curiosity with everyone I meet. Because I look neither 100% Chinese nor Vietnamese, Indo nor Philo, Thai and definately NOT Indian. Probably a twinky, whatever that really means.

• 62 justsaying // Jul 16, 2009 at 8:14 am

I used to be Asian-American, am currently a Fobabee, and hopefully will one day be Fobulous! :D

• 63 Kokujin1997 // Jul 28, 2009 at 2:56 pm

even though I’m black I fit in with about 4 of these not because I’ve read this but because of how I grew up. the FOB, Fobabee,Fobulous and the Super Fob, all of my clothes come from South Korea or Taiwan, I watch all of my movies on VCD on a japanese playstation, and I listen to so much asian pop that it might make most asians sick and about 75% of my friends are asian.

• 64 Navy Squeal // Jul 28, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Inside every Asian American is a FOB trying to get out.

• 65 collegeasian // Sep 9, 2009 at 5:19 pm

fobulous!!!! o yeah!!!!

• 66 srslee // Sep 18, 2009 at 12:31 pm

This is so stereotyped and stupid…everyone’s different

• 67 Jon // Nov 12, 2009 at 2:54 pm

you totally forgot about the gamers and anime-loving and/or asian star obsessed asians haha

• 68 BubbleTea // Nov 16, 2009 at 3:12 am

@ srslee: well DUH. this was meant to be satire. If you didn’t see that then I feel sorry for your lack of intellect and wit. this is pretty much similar to those “You know you are Mexican/Italian/Jewish/Chinese/Filipino/Indian/Redneck-Texan/etc. if….” and definitely like those “What kind of Asian/Black/White/Latino/Native American/etc. are you?”

• 69 Ica // Dec 24, 2009 at 6:51 pm

don’t fit in with any of it.
    bubble tea and boba tea: tried it. me no likey.
    dating: asian, african (yes, from africa), and white. still searching, tho.
    jay chou,et.al: heard them. me no likey.
    have a masters degree: maybe i am YAP.
    boobs real: not hoochie tab, dont like tough guys gangsta either.
    weigh more than 105lb: no TAB. hate TABs, asian version of mean girls.
    i do need a haircut, i guess i am FOB. but chicken feet, no likey.

• 70 Diana // Jan 13, 2010 at 2:06 am

Im a Twinkie! :) I drive a Holden! haha
    Im pretty much an aussie, but look asian, well half asian anyways, since Im half Russian/Chinese.

• 71 So apparently I’m a Fobabee (^o^) « TAD of Design // Mar 8, 2010 at 11:25 pm

[...] http://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/2008/05/27/feature-what-type-of-asian-are-you/ [...]

• 72 Asianxweirdo // May 3, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Oh wow.
    I’m now positive that I’m a YAP.
    I swear all the asian in my school are YAP but that’s because there’s only 5 of us in the school and it’s a vocational school.

At the public school?
    They’re all TAP.
    Ehhh I think TAP are the most annoying…
    no offense

• 73 Amelia // May 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I am hispanic, but I am pretty fobulous, if I do say so myself! Besides, I am also going to school for Japanese- hopefully I’ll meet some awesome Asians of all kinds there :D

• 74 Anonymous // Jun 10, 2010 at 2:14 am

White women dont want asian men because after a while they are more dominting that asian women…wow …thats pretty bad…they are impatient…and talk too fast….have no flow they move too fast ….gives me anxiety watching them. …..just my take…averagewhitechick

• 75 derrick // Jun 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm

someone wanna help classify me?
    im chinese, cant speak chinese at all, im a pretty natural athlete but the only competitive sports i play are tennis and baseball. i get like a couple a’s, mostly b’s and ocasionally a c (usually in math). pretty much all my white friends are laxers or baseball players. I very rarely smoke weed or drink, but i dip like a couple times a week when im with friends. I usually go for white girls but recently ive kinda been getting into this asian girl shes “fobulous” i think. i have heard of bubble tea and i secretly like watching anime like naruto and bleach. only one of my best friends know cause he watches secretly too haha. i like jpop music even though i dont know what the songs mean. i usually just kinda dress in a sweatshirt and sport shorts. im 15, 5 ft 8 in and only like 130 lbs. haha idk how i fall in here so if someone wants classify, id be glad to hear.

• 76 Hello // Jul 6, 2010 at 7:36 am

lol, you forgot japanophiles, koreanophiles, sinophiles and those other.. er, asianophiles.
    Non-asians TRYING to be asian :)

I’m mostly fobulous. but there are a few things in other types I kinda have too. And I’m 1/4 American. So wtf am I? o__o

• 77 AlphaWolf // Nov 17, 2010 at 2:27 pm

What if I am in a band. Is there a rockstar Asian stereotype?

• 78 Travel Asia // Feb 1, 2011 at 3:49 am

I went to Asia tour last year. Asians are really great bold and genius in the world. They have great power and mind than English people.

• 79 wood pellets // Mar 1, 2011 at 1:16 am

If she were being made from iron, the incident might have induced these a tear that she would have stuffed with drinking water within a number of minutes and sunk. But she was made from Mold Steel Plate. The Rotomahana was the initial steel ocean-going steamer to endure a major accident, through her risky expertise the immense superiority of metal more than iron was demonstrated. With that point on, all boats ended up created of metal.

• 80 mbt store // Mar 19, 2011 at 12:49 am

mbt sports shoes have been billed as the world’s smallest gym since they are of good help to increase muscle activity, strengthening and toning of the leg, buttock and stomach. mbt shoes clearance are designed to simulate walking in sand, it’s a multi-layered, curved sole that accomplishes this by mbt usa creating a natural but uneven walking surface. It is well know to people that mbt uk are quite helpful for them to keep healthy, such as activate neglected muscles, improve posture and gait, tone and shape the body.If you once have a try of the excellent cheap mbt shoes, you should know that back muscles takes place during everyday activities like walking and standing. mbt 4 u for “Masai Barefoot Technology”, this technology is meant to make the core strengthening muscles more active, creating better posture and increasing shock absorbtion for all of the joints. As people have paid more and more attention to their health, mbt store become increasingly popular with them. Undoubtedly, they have become the best mbt shop sellers in shoe market and they are quite well known as healthy shoes!SX

• 81 links london // Mar 21, 2011 at 1:24 am

This is exactly what i was looking for. thank you for the informative post and keep up the good work!I am constantly searching online for articles that can aid me. Thanks!

• 82 zazya // Jul 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

i think i’m asian american. I’m pure asian but everyone thinking I’m hapa because of my skin hahaha

• 83 Andrea // Dec 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I fit most into “Fobulous” the only thing is I don’t think I’m a good dancer, and I don’t think I’m a good designer and ‘rock interior skills’

• 84 Jackson Huynh // Jan 30, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I’m A fobulous cause it sounds like me!

• 85 Alisa // Mar 23, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I’m Fobulous, bitches! ;) It describes me pretty much to a T except for the Dancing part because, I can’t dance for shit.

• 86 ilovehorseyrides // Sep 26, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Fobulous!!!!

-I know what Boba is (and I have drank it before)
    -I speak and understand Cantonese but I prefer speaking in English
    -Sanrio is too cute for me to be interested in (no interested)
    -I don’t know many Asian celebrities (I only know about Andy Lau, Jackie Cheung, and Jackie Chan, and some other canto pop singers)
    -I only have 1 Asian friend
    -I balance between Asian and American lifestyles. I try to be more “American”, but my family is just too Asian to support me (they are “fresh off the boat”)

• 87 Nguyen Nguyen // Aug 23, 2016 at 11:47 pm