12000 Peace Cranes for 12000+ China Earthquake Deaths

Posted May 14th, 2008 by Peter · 13 Comments

As a part of Asian Central, Stuff Asian People Like is very much connected to the Asian Community. For the last couple of days, it has been extremely difficult for our staff to continue writing in the wake of the China Earthquakes and Burma Cyclone. Please be patient, as we have taken the last couple of days off to mourn the losses of our brothers and sisters in China and Burma. To respond to the tragedy, please help us fold peace cranes or make a pledge for peace crane folders. Please visit Project Peace Crane.

‘This is our cry, this is our prayer: peace in the world.” – Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

“I will write peace on your wings and you will fly all over the world.” – Sadako Sasaki

“She was told, if she folded 1,000 paper cranes the gods would grant her wish, she wished to get well, … She ended up folding 644 cranes before she died.”

Over 12,000 reported killed by China quake – CNN.com

Asian Central Family – It’s time we respond to the devastation that occurred yesterday. We don’t have money, but if you would like to help fold 12,000 paper cranes, please join our Facebook Group: Project Peace Crane, and update the wall with how many you have folded. If each of us folds 100 and 120 join this group, we’ll be able to show to the world that our hearts are with the family and people who have suffered this tragedy. We will each take pictures of our cranes and AC will create a huge collage. As part of the AC Rice Bowl and community involvement, AC will give you 1 rice point per crane you help fold. Please get your friends to join the Asian Central Community and help fold: http://asian-central.com

How will folding cranes help China and Burma versus donating money?
People can do both. It’s really up to the individual how to respond and this is one way. Some people do not have money to give or they are wary of where the money actually ends up. This is a very meaningful way to respond because many people including the youth on AC Community have felt detached, apathetic, or simply do not know what to do or how to respond to tragedies, disasters, and injustice around the world. This is one way to respond and reflect on the victims or pray for their families as you are folding each crane.

We recommend that you read the book Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. These folded cranes will be a vigil for the people in China and Burma. For each crane you fold, you can spend that moment to reflect on the deaths or pray for the families. Continue to invite your friends, and take part in our Paper Crane Vigil. If you have further questions, feel free to ask us: admin@asian-central.com.

We will be back in a few days. In the meantime, please support Asian Central as we fold 12,000 paper cranes for the 12,000+ China Earthquake and Burma Cyclone Victims.

Tags: People

• 1 fallenangels // May 14, 2008 at 9:43 pm

It has been such a terrible month with the crisis in Myanmar and the earthquake in China and everything else in the US…. I really hope that no one has to suffer alone.

• 2 Brian // May 15, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I have been so sad I cannot keep writing either. My Chinese Community Association is taking collections for families.

• 3 hrhkat // May 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm

This earthquake was so terrible, but alot of damage could have been prevented if china didnt make every building out of concrete and steel. I hope they reform their building methods, because way too many people died, and they shouldnt have. In southern california, most of the houses are built to be rather light, with wood framing attacted to a concrete foundation, with stucco on the outside. The house will shake and have interior cracks, but if the roof isnt tile,but shingles, the house should stand up farely well. I lived through the 1994 earthquake in southern cali, my house shook and shook and shook, and i was under a table, but the house still stood. My aunts house which was covered in brick, and was only about 4 houses down, had very serious damage because the bricks pulled the front facade of her house to the ground. I understand that wood is probably fairly expensive in china, but im sure they could make a composit wood with plastics, it would save thousands of lives, and would be easier to move and lift, if it did fall. Remember that many children died, and of those children, most if not all were only children because of the laws in china, the sad part is that their parents are now childless, and most probably will not have another, hopefully this will lead them to adopting some ophans…..within darkness comes light, this tragedy will only improve the lives of the living, and it will teach great lessons to the people.

• 4 baboon // May 17, 2008 at 3:07 am

I’ve been keeping up with the news on these two countries on CNN at work. It seems like the worst of the worst!! I can’t fold crane or anything, but I will donate money. I read somewhere that only like 20% actually gets to the rightful place since the rest is to pay the aid people to do it.

• 5 baboon // May 17, 2008 at 3:26 am

Ok i’ve done some research and found that people should check out http://www.charitynavigator.org before donating!!!

• 6 Justin // May 17, 2008 at 9:37 pm

baboon, thanks for the info =) if you’re donating, consider making it in honor of people folding peace cranes, and pledge that amount per crane we fold, you’d donate that amount to whichever organization you choose and people all over the world would be encouraged to fold more cranes, care, and support the disaster more.

• 7 Gabrielle Rettinger // Aug 11, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Sadako was such a loving girl.

• 8 Gabrielle Rettinger // Aug 11, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I remember watching Barney. I remember Arthur. Sesame Street is a dumb baby show. Ian and Faith like to watch Clifford and Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood.

• 9 Gabrielle Rettinger // Aug 11, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Nonnie and I went to Seattle nine years ago. We took U.S. airlines.

The space needle is Seattle’s most recognizanle landmark. The fairgrounds that surrounded the needle have been converted at the Seattle Center. The Seattle Center plays multiple roles. People have parties here.

• 10 MoralesRoslyn // Jul 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

If you are in uncomfortable position and have no cash to go out from that point, you would need to receive the home loans. Because that would aid you unquestionably. I take auto loan every single year and feel myself fine just because of that.

• 11 amazon ghd // Sep 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm