#58 Golden Poop Charms

Posted April 14th, 2008 by Peter · 29 Comments

Posts have been pretty long lately, so I decided to lighten up the mood with a post about Golden Poop Charms. Yup, leave it up to the main writer to post a piece of crap. =)

This golden treasure popularized a few years back, but let’s face it “” how does golden poop actually get old (paradox)? The origins of the Golden Poop Charm are in Japan, where they are said to bring good fortune. For that reason, they are sold at shrines and gift shops all over. (And no, I’m not talking about the cell phone danglers yet). The cell phone charm version of the Golden Poop is arguably the most popular cell phone accessory of all time, selling millions of units worldwide.

But why is Golden Poop such a viable commodity? According to the Japan Times:

The product you saw is called Kin no Unko (The Golden Poo), a name that plays on the fact that the Japanese word for poop (unko) starts with the same ‘oon” sound as a completely unrelated word that means ‘luck.” Japanese enjoy this kind of pun “” traditional storytelling is full of them “” which may help explain why more than 2.5 million of the lucky little loads have sold in the last seven years.

But the phenomenon didn’t just come about. The first golden poop floated around the world in 1999, opening the floodgates to a culture of manure-worship. But 1999 wasn’t actually the first Golden Poop sighting, as ‘there has been a long history of poo-related worship in Japan”:

‘There are more gods in the Shinto religion than it is possible to count, and they reside just about everywhere, inhabiting natural things like trees, rocks and waterfalls,” he said. ‘Bodily functions are very important “” think what a problem it would be if a person couldn’t defecate or urinate properly “” so it’s natural that people worshipped deities linked to these functions.”

If you think all of this is a load of BS, then ask any Asian from China or Japan. They will be able to recall a time in their lives where they once too admired Poop (as a toddler, in comic books, or on television cartoons). This so-called poop worship is quite prevalent in Asia, where people are much more accepting of bodily functions than they are in the West. The Golden Poop may detest many, but to Asians, it is indeed a lucky charm.

Tags: Activities · Comedy · Culture · Customs · Famous · Habits · History · People · Products · Superstition · T.V. · Technology

• 1 PoopyButt // Apr 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm

“This so-called poop worship is quite prevalent in Asia, where people are much more accepting of bodily functions than they are in the West. “

Or just shows that they are backwards and barbaric. Not all open-mindedness shows advancement.

My poo doesn’t look like softserve ice cream… is that how it comes out the south end in Asia?

• 2 Justin // Apr 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm

haha hilarious topic XD

• 3 sy88 // Apr 14, 2008 at 11:06 pm

“Posts have been pretty long lately…”

I told you before, it’s a disease. I have a compulsion to rant and I can’t help myself :)

“Yup, leave it up to the main writer to post a piece of crap. =)”

Oh what pun! No, but I suppose someone had to pick up the crap, pity it had to be you Peter…hehe

Ahh, it’s good comic relief though. Btw my next post will be on “Silver Dog Pee Replicas”… just kidding of course. Great article as always Peter. Just goes to prove, you can write about crap and people will still read it :)

• 4 sy88 // Apr 15, 2008 at 12:32 am

Oh btw I’m not disputing the fact that Asians probably do love these Golden Poop Charms. It’s just that I, umm… don’t.

• 5 Justin // Apr 15, 2008 at 12:46 am

hehe ur one silly one sy88 and peter is silly too, i’m fascinated by poop but never knew other asians were too…so i had a kick out of this post =D

• 6 synical // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:18 am

I haven’t heard of the Golden Poop charm, and I’m Asian.

:S

• 7 AllergyFree // Apr 15, 2008 at 7:51 am

I feel so un-Asian right now. I never heard of the golden poo. I must get one now.

• 8 YASPY Chick // Apr 15, 2008 at 8:55 am

Never heard of this……but are they really called poop charms? You can also see them as ummm…soft-serve ice cream charms

OK, I’m never going to have soft serve again.

• 9 Peter // Apr 15, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Just lightening up the mood

=)

• 10 Jessica // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Ha! I bought my boyfriend these charms this past Christmas as a gag gift. I had never heard of them before I saw them in an online store catalog though.

• 11 Kevin // Apr 15, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Never seen one of those things in my life…Am I not Asian?

• 12 ryan // Apr 17, 2008 at 2:36 am

according to my japanese girlfriend said kin no unko is hardly taken seriously in japan. mostly as a gag, because as you said, it’s just a pun. and seeing as your quoting the japan times as a source, i’m not surprised as how misguided this entry is.

• 13 solong // Apr 19, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Haha oh my gosh I never knew how POPULAR this was! Because I was just going to buy a golden poop phone charm from http://www.strapya-world.com a few months ago xD They also have different colors of poop which mean different things.

• 14 Anonymous // Apr 28, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Dr slump!

• 15 Justin // Apr 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm

haha solong ur funny!

• 16 applekitty // Jun 12, 2009 at 4:28 am

maybe i’m slow, but i just realized that these poo charms look a lot like hershey kisses…ew.

• 17 Anonymous // Aug 1, 2009 at 4:20 am

I think it’s just a Japanese thing, as the pun doesn’t translate into Chinese.
    oh, and the “more accepting of bodily functions” thing is spot on, and I think it actually makes for a healthier society if people can freely talk about how their crap has been “healthy” or, well… “crappy” lately… People talk about stuff like that all the time with no stigma in China. it’s refreshing.

• 18 Sarah // Oct 12, 2009 at 8:27 pm

i confess, we have a little poo teddy with a constrained face on it [like the one people wear on the dunny, go figure], hanging in our bathroom, just near the curtains.

• 19 huu // Jul 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm

“Laisser un commentaire”site:loulou31.sosblog.fr

• 20 Networking solutions // Mar 21, 2011 at 5:14 am

Nice work, I would like to read your blog every day Thanks

• 21 Pretreatment // Mar 21, 2011 at 7:30 pm

best wish for you

• 22 cheap bridesmaid dresses // Mar 21, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Island wedding party attire united kingdom often be considered a good offer more a idea or perhaps a sensation than design every se. a number of factors should be respected to the bride to really feel at reduce by way of the swimming pool by way of the tropical isle wedding.Roycal Blue Strapless Beading Embroidery Ball GownGrape Halter Empire Waist Ruffles Mother Of The Bride Dress
    just among these could quite possibly be the make trades winds, that are breezy and light.

• 23 cheap evening gowns // Mar 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm

buy cosplay costumes|cosplay costumes|anime cosplay costumes|Bleach cosplay|final fantasy cosplay|cosplay wigs
    splendid environment and blooming flowers. intimate sensation is found out everywhere.Cheap V-neck wedding dressesCheap Spagetti Straps Wedding Dresses
    Carolina Herrera captures the most effective spirit this season. Her wedding party attire are loved just about by just about every girl.Cheap Square Wedding DressesCheap Sweetheart Wedding Dresses
    She indulges femininity and romance in path of essentially the most extent. each and just about every apparel is modish, distinctive and tasteful.

• 24 cheap wedding dress // Mar 21, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Cheap Halter Wedding Dresses
    This could quite possibly be considered a guide book who’ll permit you understand some newest methods from distinguished designers.

• 25 careprost // Apr 9, 2011 at 3:03 am

Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge.Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!

• 26 Chinese restaruant in Brisbane // Apr 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hi, I found your blog and read a couple of the posts here. I’ve to say that your blog post are very informative. Your blog have benefited me in many ways and I want to say thank you! I will be comming back often.

• 27 corporate wellness programs australia // May 15, 2011 at 9:33 pm

this is a terrific blog…i enjoyed reading it…i must say its one of its kind…

• 28 buy tshirts online // Jul 21, 2011 at 3:19 am

Softtee have designed T-shirts with slogans embracing their relaxed and most chilled out attitudes to everything in general! Your T-shirt is the loudest fashion Statement you can ever make. We all believe; what we wear says a lot about our personality… so convey your messages in the form of logo and ultimately show your attitude!

• 29 ilovehorseyrides // Jun 9, 2015 at 3:12 pm

My Asian family always talk about poop when it comes to joking with young children. They also talk about the childrens’ butt and private parts (especially male children’s private parts).

Thay can be sick-minded sometimes (or it’s just an Asian thing…). What do you think????