#48 House Hunting

Posted March 28th, 2008 by Shaun · 14 Comments

Whether they are in the process of buying, selling, or renting a house, Asians love house hunting, mainly for the opportunity for them to visit open homes. The main thing to be noted is that Asians often visit open homes even if they have no intention of buying the property itself. This is because the Asian is a curious, inquisitive creature. Asians often wonder how other people (be they Asians or otherwise) live their lives. Attending open homes operates as an outlet for that desire.

As Asians are about to enter a stranger’s house, their fingers tremble with excitement at the opportunity to pry into someone’s life, under the guise of possibly obtaining it in the future. The first action an Asian performs when attending an open home is removing their shoes. Yes that’s right, even in a house that’s not their own, Asians still believe it mandatory for footwear to be removed. Even if it is obviously not necessary, such as when the real estate agent insists for footwear to be left on, Asians will actually offer to take off their shoes off.

Asians will then make the rounds: inspecting the bedrooms, bathrooms and living rooms just like anyone else would. The difference here between Asians and any other ethnic group is that Asians are silently judging the current inhabitants by the tidiness or overall impressiveness of their house. They enjoy the process of prying into a stranger’s life. Judgments such as: ‘Wah, such a dirty floor“ or ‘Aya, look at the ugly couch, lah“, complete with Asian lingo is made by Asians entering an open home. These statements are made by Asians, in spite of of the fact that the floor can obviously be cleaned up, and the couch isn’t actually part of the house. Asians just enjoy complaining.

It was previously mentioned that Asians are naturally curious, inquisitive and somewhat nosy creatures. During open houses, Asians will also take their time to stare at the family photographs. Now, family photos usually have nothing to do with the marketability of a person’s house, but to an Asian, photos give away valuable nuggets of information. By examining the current owners’ character via photographs, Asians feel they get an insight into how another family lives their life, which usually leads to another popular Asian pastime (#26) – comparing people. The guise of examining a home possibly for purchase in the future has since long been abandoned. The process has now become a matter of comparing the life being presented to their own lifestyle situation. Comparing other people is all fun and games, but how many times does an Asian get to compare someone to themselves?

Now that the fun part is over, the Asian finally ends their venture into the open house. Here comes the dreaded step, expressing interest in buying the home itself. Well… 95% of the time, an Asian attending an open home is not really there as a potential buyer. They are there due to the aforementioned ulterior motives. For the rare Asians who can be seen as potential buyers, another problem arises: Asians are typically stingy. In all likelihood, an Asian will make the lowest possible offer for the house in question to be rejected outright. Then the whole process of attending an open home will repeat, again and again and again”¦ At the rate they’re going, it’s really quite amazing how Asians manage to keep a roof over their heads”¦

Last 5 posts by Shaun

Tags: Activities · Business · Environment · Habits · Hobbies · People · Tidbits · Travel · Work

• 1 Anonymous // Mar 29, 2008 at 12:10 am

favorite line: “… Asians are silently judging the current inhabitants by the tidiness or overall impressiveness of their house.”

• 2 Justin // Mar 29, 2008 at 4:41 pm

my mom likes to go house hunting and call all the aunts afterwards to talk about how nice/bad the house was…never buying of course! =)

• 3 Amy // Mar 31, 2008 at 9:43 pm

“Asians are silently judging the current inhabitants by the tidiness or overall impressiveness of their house.”

Well, I think everyone else does this though. Not just Asians. I read somewhere that some people buy impressive books (like big art / architecture books, or some Mandela or Che, or Ancient Egypt, etc.) to scatter on their coffee tables for open-for-inspection days, in the hopes that they’d appear better and the house will grab a higher price.
    Don’t know if it works. =)

• 4 Toby // Apr 2, 2008 at 8:25 am

lol. I went to a few open houses in our neighbourhood with my parents, with no intent of buying at all. My dad will be driving along and see a sign for open house and decides to go see it. We even went to the house that is behind us! The purpose is to see what it looks like inside and how much the house is going for in the current market. We also compare the size of the house to our own. Like, “oh their kitchen is so small”; “Our house is better”.

I must admit that I am curious about how other people live and how they decorat their homes.

• 5 Crystal // May 10, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Darn it! I thought it was an having-architects-as-parents thing, the whole OMG-THERE’S-AN-OPEN-HOUSE-WE-HAVE-TO-GO-IN thing (note: this happens even AFTER we bought a condo).

I think I grew up in other people’s houses – the ones that are on sale.

• 6 kris // Nov 23, 2008 at 3:13 am

this is hilarious. bout time we poked fun at ourselves instead feeling shame guilt and fear that our families will disown us at the slightest sign of imperfection.

I kinda hate hanging around asian friends sometimes because its always so competitive. I feel like the rat race is continuing in my personal life. As if there wasn’t enough of that in business. No break for the asians. Also, I’m very individualistic and like my own style and resent the constant comparison. We asians often put being the same as more valuable than being unique….and it drive me (who likes to be creative and explore my own talents) crazy!

• 7 Kvietgrl // Nov 23, 2008 at 8:59 am

hi kris! thanks for sharing your comments and experiences with sapl! =) hope you continue to visit us!

-sapl team

• 8 for // Dec 28, 2008 at 1:06 pm

We all love house hunting don’t we – not sure about now though with the credit crunch and all that

• 9 got-rice // Oct 11, 2009 at 2:54 pm

lol….so hella true…owning a house is considered \success\ in the culture…I was watching a program on HGTV on a Taiwanese guy buying his first home, and his parents were so into the Feng Shui crap.

• 10 Yuff // Oct 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm

It’s quite funny actually. We went house hunting once. We checked the fridge. Guess what was inside (this was a model home though)? Bottles of water. That were free for use. o.o

Obviously, we Asians would kill for this.

• 11 jasonkhan1020 // Dec 17, 2011 at 2:55 am

I am looking for such a postI am looking for such a post, thanks for sharing such valuable information., thanks for sharing such valuable information.

• 12 jak55 // Jun 24, 2012 at 8:45 am

That is very fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and stay up for looking for more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

• 13 chat // Mar 27, 2013 at 6:45 pm