#31 Rice

Posted March 11th, 2008 by Peter · 26 Comments

It’s been a long time coming, but following our 30th Post Anniversary of Stuff Asian People Like, we cordially bring you an entry about the one thing asians are truly synonymous with: Rice. Get Ready, it’s a doozy!

RiceFor the longest time, Asians have “got rice.” Ever since Tai Mai Shu’s song debut, the notion for “Asian Pride” has swept through the nation. No longer can an asian person be seen in a different light than rice. Asians and rice have become a single entity. However, this bond has existed for thousands of years. This staple crop has grown in favor due to its:

1. Diet & Nutritional Value: Even though modern science depicts rice as fattening and full of starch, asians know that rice is a source of nourishment due to its Fiber, Complex Carbohydrates, and Vitamin B and E content. In addition, the common opinion that brown rice is better is only half true because white rice is 98% digestible compared to brown rice’s 80% (asiarice.org). With a balanced intake of white rice, one does not have to worry about getting fat. However, brown rice contains less carbohydrates which are broken down into sugar so it would better for our parents with diabetes to eat. The moderately high caloric count of rice supplements the lack of calories in asian foods. In Vietnamese food, for example, which originates from an area known for its lush vegetation, most foods barely break the 100 calorie mark per serving. Compare this to a Burger King hamburger, which is 290 calories per serving. Think about all those tubby asian kids running around. (Oh wait, there are none…)

Credit: http://www.lovesthailand.googlepages.com/mango.jpg/mango-full.jpg2. Versatility: Combine the speed of Kobe Bryant, strength of Shaquille O’Neal, grace of Michelle Kwan, and ingenuity of Wolfgang Puck: and you will get rice. Rice has many attributes that have made it a well sought-after commodity to Asians as well as Westerners and Europeans. Asians hate cooking when it leads nowhere. That’s why asians cook rice. “It’s easy to prepare, it’s highly flexible, and it is able to absorb flavors while retaining its texture,” says one of our experts on food. Rice dishes can easily be made sweet, sour, tangy, savory, or even sweet. When combined with milk and sugar, rice becomes a luscious creamy pudding for all to enjoy. Along with this, rice has no fat, salt, or sugar. Instead, rice is highly nutritious, which allows it to be preferred by all asians and eaten by over half of the world’s population two to three times a day. No wonder why rice has been called “the pasta of the 90s.(move over, Italy!)

Picker

3. Growability: The “quintissencial” local food, most rice is consumed within about eight miles of where it is grown. If rice is consumed within an 8 mile radius, this means that there are about 896,765 rice plantations in Asia alone. Worldwide, it accounts for over 30-70 percent of some diets and is consumed at 200-500 pounds per year. Rice is a godsend to asians because it can be grown basically anywhere there is an irrigated field. Conversely, McDonalds’ is a deathsend to America, causing people to develop high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes.

4. Preferences: Asians often argue about the “correct” way to cook rice. This will involve disputes over boiling, baking, roasting, frying, or even pressure cooking it. To quickly prepare rice, every asian house has one or two automatic rice cookers. This is a must in every asian household! When asians enter houses without rice cookers, they immediately feel the need to throw up the previous night’s dinner in order to re-experience its savory goodness. This occurs because asians do not waste food. Leftovers quickly become the main attractions of rice salads, veggie dishes, or other delectable meals.

Here’s a word from the wise before you begin your journey into the wonderful world of rice: Enjoy it. Know that you are not alone because Asians everywhere are eating it. Know that it’s caloric content is low and nutrition content is high. Know that it’s highly versatile in preparation and dish choices. Know that you can store it in a refrigerator and eat it 2 weeks later simply by microwaving it. Know that there are more asians eating rice at this very moment than there are people in the United States. Most importantly, know that you learned all this about Rice on Stuff Asian People Like, and tell your friends. That’s a good thing to know.

Tags: Culture · Customs · Famous · Food & Beverage · Habits · History · Music · People · Products

• 1 Grace Chu // Mar 11, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Ever since Tai Mai Shu’s song debut, the notion for ‘Asian Pride” has swept through the nation.

—————–

Oh, Asian Pride has always been around. I think that song sparked that scourge called “AzN pRyDe!!!” which is a whole other thing altogether.

• 2 Justin // Mar 11, 2008 at 6:35 pm

lol

• 3 kvietgrl // Mar 11, 2008 at 7:44 pm

i love white rice. though, i have a friend that cooks it in the microwave for 8 minutes. =O

• 4 YASPY Chick // Mar 12, 2008 at 6:41 am

My mother doesn’t do white rice unless we’re going out or making jook. She also said that shoveling rice is not “lady-like” and that a proper lady has to pick just a few grains at a time with her chopsticks.

• 5 YASPY Chick // Mar 12, 2008 at 6:43 am

By the way, left over rice often means fried rice for my family. Rice salad isn’t “Chinese”

• 6 Joy Martinez // Mar 12, 2008 at 8:31 am

I must be a prime example! My blog is called ILoveWhiteRice.com.

• 7 everydayasian // Mar 12, 2008 at 8:55 am

I didn’t even know it was possible to cook rice on the stove, without a rice cooker, until I was in college and learned it from my white friends.

• 8 YASPY Chick // Mar 12, 2008 at 10:37 am

Everydayasian,

Rice cookers are a twentieth century invention. They would have cooked rice on a stove/over a fire in the old days. Also, haven’t you ever had bowjaifan (rice cooked in a ceramic pot…usually cooked with beef, chicken or spareribs)

• 9 Marcelle Manhattan // Mar 12, 2008 at 12:50 pm

My mother used to tell us we had flat, wide feet because our ancestors evolved them whilst standing in rice paddies. I find this extremely weird and somewhat irrelevant, but it’s the first thing that came to mind. I’m only part Asian anyway, so I guess you can excuse my dumb answer. Anyway, I heart rice, and I heart this website!

• 10 Inter-sections // Mar 14, 2008 at 11:24 am

[...] That White People Like, it nevertheless has provided interesting and hilarious commentary from rice to arriving [...]

• 11 gar // Mar 14, 2008 at 3:56 pm

best. post. about. rice. EVER.

• 12 erasmusa // Mar 14, 2008 at 5:21 pm

great observations. i’m one of the rare asians who can live without rice. my dad and my brother, for instance, cannot last a day without it.

• 13 osangjin // Mar 18, 2008 at 11:32 am

woah… “asians do not waste food”?
    You gotta check out the back alleys of Seoul someday, where huge bags of leftovers sit behind every restaurant. I’ve never seen more wasted food in my life than in Seoul.

[Note to Reader: The meaning of the sentence is that the misconception even half-true is false, but we've clarified it just in case anyone misunderstands in the future. Everyone knows the fact of the nutrients in brown rice which we talked about in the first sentence, but we wanted to give the support for white rice's digestibility. Thanks for the comment.]
    Also, i know this site is just trying to be humorous, but let’s not let cultural pride get in the way of facts… brown rice’s nutritional superiority is not a “myth.” Think about it… white rice is simply brown rice after milling and polishing, i.e. after virtually all the nutrients are thrown away. Even Dr. Lam says so!

• 14 A // Mar 19, 2008 at 6:41 pm

No tubby Asian kids?? Have you been to Beijing lately? Lots of tubby little emperors around there these days.

• 15 Justin // Mar 19, 2008 at 7:06 pm

I just came back from Beijing and travel every year in SE Asia and met many lil emperors but they make up a small portion of China (usually rich kids), and Asia as the continent.

• 16 mari // Apr 2, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Dominicans love rice, too! In fact, we use so much rice in my family that we keep a 20+ gallon-tin constantly full of it! However, rice cookers would be considered a waste a space in the Dominican household. We just boil it with corn oil and salt. Yum!

• 17 patty // May 17, 2008 at 12:39 am

I have to eat rice at least once a day. And its weird when Haoles eat rice by itself?

• 18 areacodeeightzeroeight // Sep 9, 2008 at 12:10 am

patty is obviously from hawaii. ho brah! haha :D

• 19 Meghan // Jul 31, 2009 at 9:24 am

haha I have a weird feeling if i don’t have rice everyday. I have a friend that said she would make rice for me when i came over to her house. When I went to her house I was so surprised that she didn’t have an automatic rice cookers. I thought everyone owned one haha. She made it in a pot and after she drenched it in soysauce. It was so nasty, it was soggy and salty. I had to eat all of it because i didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

• 20 Mochi Blog | A Look Into “Stuff Asian People Like” // Sep 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

[...] of 124 (and growing) things Asian people like, updated daily. There are the expected (academics, rice), but the true genius of the site is stumbling across an entry about a cultural quirk you never [...]

• 21 KR // Feb 11, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I love rice it can be eaten with anything. Only ignorant white people use rice as a sidedish. i eat it as the main dish.

BTW. PAsta was invented in China, i dont know why so many attribute it to the Italians, they haven’t really done much exept really good cars.

• 22 CeeJayy // Jun 19, 2010 at 12:13 am

This should of been the first one on this website

• 23 Yadira // Aug 20, 2011 at 9:37 am

oh my oh my this is like a hispanic thing too.
    if there is no rice you can call it anything but food.there must be rice in other to be food.
    without rice it is just rare .
    btw My grandma can make glue out of rice and so many more thing I have no idea where she gets all that from .

• 24 sexygirls // Apr 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Cats must chew holes in the bags of clean kitty litter and spread it on the floor.

• 25 canvastavlor foto // Apr 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Online Article…

[...]if you have a few minutes to spare take some time to read this post on[...]…

• 26 ilovehorseyrides // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:17 pm

My mom wants me to eat less sugar. Rice has sugar in it. My family eats rice all the time, so I am always like “Why am I eating this, anyway?? This has sugar, and you don’t want me to eat so much sugar” Seriously, so confusing!!! >:(