#21 Growing Stuff In Own Yard

Posted March 1st, 2008 by Dr. Chan · 16 Comments

Asians like to grow things in their back yards. Sometimes legal, sometimes illegal. But, before they can do that, Asians have to find the perfect spot. A two to four room house with a massive front and/or back yard. There is logic in it. Why waste time gas, and money driving to the grocery store for some lemons for lemonade, when indeed you can plant a tree yourself, and harvest the fruit of your labor? Mmmm… Sweet Lemons of victory and guess what? They are free! It is always a proud day when an Asian can bring something up at the dinner table like “Mmmmmm do you like those tomatoes?” And expect a response like, “Oh yeah they are just scrumptious” (maybe in a different tongue) And they would gladly be ready to say, “Well, guess what? I grew em myself!”

Other than that, whether Asians are from China, or the Philippines (for our non-oriental friends, don’t be so hostile) asians like to grow exotic tropical fruits and plants, or herbs which would be rather expensive at any other supermarket.

For example: Papayas, Dragon Fruit, Persimmons, squashes, logans, lychees, jujubees, and anything of that sort. And yes, asians would rather grow their own oranges, instead of buying them from some hispanic on the side of a road.

The yard of an asian home is also where you can find some special herbs, or ailments. Such as some mints, parsley, lemon grass, shiso, peppers, and aloe!

They are essential to the asian diet, (or just cool to look at). Many Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese dishes use these herbs as garnishes or to add more flavor. Some of the herbs are also used in medicine, ie. Aloe, (for the common rash.) Yes, asians are green-thumbed grass eaters. And that is why: Asians love to grow stuff in their yards.

Last 5 posts by Dr. Chan

Tags: Activities · Chores · Culture · Customs · People · Work

• 1 Justin // Mar 1, 2008 at 3:02 pm

yah, in my backyard my mom is so proud of our guava tree..it’s delicious…but im sometimes afraid of our white neighbors becoming curious and steeling them.

• 2 Snobby // Mar 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Please have one of your friends or relatives plant a breadfruit tree – I can’t locate any!!!!

• 3 kvietgrl // Mar 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm

what’s a breadfruit?!?!

• 4 Snobby // Mar 2, 2008 at 11:11 am

It was the cargo on “Mutiny on the Bounty”.
    Think, green bowling balls.
    It’s delicious!!!

Google it.

• 5 liz // Mar 5, 2008 at 8:40 am

my backyard is full of veggies, fruits, and herbs. and my dad just planted 8 coconut trees!

• 6 Justin // Mar 5, 2008 at 12:17 pm

asians also are farmers in china vietnam etc….they grow corn rice etc….farming was their main source of living!

• 7 Dr. Chan // Mar 5, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Yup!

• 8 johnk // Mar 8, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Don’t knock the roadside oranges. They’re good. I thought they were the rejects, but, they are sometimes more expensive than the market oranges, and are often of a higher quality.

• 9 angela // Jun 1, 2008 at 12:22 pm

yeah our old house was 4 bedroom and had big front and backyards. we had so much stuff from oranges to lemongrass to guava but alot were planted by the previous owner who was mexican. we didnt really use none of it but my moms friends (who are also asian) always come and pick them. Some Viet lady across the street asked if she could have some…and she raised chickens! lol

• 10 Shelly // Oct 15, 2008 at 1:50 pm

This article describes my family a lot. We have a pear tree, lemon tree, kimkut three, apple, herbs, and a Asian grapefruit tree. Every time I’m at the supermarket, I always think how people are wasting money buying lemons. lol But then again we only get them like 6-8 months out of 12 a year.

• 11 Vic // Nov 2, 2008 at 8:16 pm

I knew this family who lived in a low income neighborhood, they grow a shit load of stuff on the “front yard”, it looks so out of place even for a poor neighborhood.

My next door neighbor while I was growing up was raising chickens in his back yard. Chickens in the city!!!

I thought it was cool. When I have a house, I am going to grow a shit load of stuff too. Why waste all that land space.?

• 12 huu // Jul 13, 2010 at 8:54 pm

“LEAVE A COMMENT”site:www.asian-central.com

• 13 huu // Jul 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Chanel Purses that dot the collection, they’re very taste-specific, but I could see some of the more subdued version working quite well with summery white linen or various bright colors for contrast. From Chanel Outlet

• 14 Hair Straighteners // Sep 5, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I love your website!d

• 15 I hate gardening // Apr 7, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I hate gardening….but I hate being ripped off for herbs even more! So even though I have a black thumb, I plant weeds AKA “herbs” (even I can’t kill those) because the thought of paying $5 for a sad little packet of basil gives me indigestion.

• 16 ilovehorseyrides // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:22 pm

My mom grows Vietnamese herbs in our yard, and my aunt (who lives in LA) grows dragonfruit in her backyard.